◦Refuge Pt.1◦

"Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

|TEXAS

January 15, 06:19 AM CDT

TEAM YEAR SIX

"Mama, mama- I found a princess in the cornfields!"

The Kryptonian shot awake as did the girl who had accidentally slipped into a recharge state while on watch the night before. A smaller human girl looked at them both with big blue eyes for a moment, giggled and then sprinted away from them. Her wheat blonde hair trailing behind her.

They both stood up, the Kryptonian blinking rapidly as the girl's back tensed. Soon, rustling through the cornfields was a woman with a shotgun in her arms. She had it lifted up in a threatening manner, Match stepping forward with a growl as the woman took in their dirty and battered appearance. She abruptly heaved a sigh, and slowly pointed the weapon towards the ground. "I have a lot of questions right now- but...I guess the first one that comes to mind is- you kids hungry?"

...

They followed the woman, who shooed them along sternly. They ended up coming to a small farmhouse on a hill with a rickety-looking porch. A dog barked as them as they came up to the steps behind the woman, the child from earlier poking her head out the door to gape at them. "See, I told you there was a princess mama!"

"Shush now Darcy, and go wash your hands. You're absolutely filthy, I won't have you eating lunch looking like that- now go." She beckoned with a wave of her hand as she pushed open the screen door and stepped inside the house. The girl groaned before pattering away as her mother emptied the shotgun of shells and put the gun on the highest cabinet of the closet. She glanced over her shoulder at Match, who seemed to stand awkwardly at the threshold of the steps- the dog circling his feet. "Come on, Ruck won't hurt you. He's a useless guard-dog. Won't bite, too friendly." She whistled sharply, the dog perked up and trotted to her heels- sniffing around her feet as his tongue lolled out from his mouth. "Come on." She waved them inside.

"It's not the dog I'm worried about getting hurt," Match grumbled quietly, too low to hear. However, the pale-skinned girl did- and she gave a sympathetic look. The clone just avoided looking at her as he carefully pushed open the screen door.

As they stepped inside, they took in the sights. A warm orange rug sat in the entrance hall, as pictures lined the walls. The floors were hardwood, and the walls were a soft tan color. The woman led them through what seemed to be a sitting room with a rocking chair, a few mismatched couches with hand-knitted blankets slung over the back with various floral patterned throw pillows. They came to a stop at the kitchen and dining room, which seemed to be an open floor plan. "Why don't you two wash your hands at the kitchen sink while I make us some food." She offered, her brown eyes crinkling at the corners as she pulled her oversized scoop sweater tight around her shoulders. "Maybe then I can ask you what you were doing, sleeping in our fields?"

Match grunted, and the girl gave a sheepish look. "I apologize, should we have known- we would have kept moving."

The woman stared at them with a critical eye, crossing her arms over her chest for a moment. She then dropped her arms."Well, you're just lucky the boys aren't here, they might have shot warning shots." She stepped aside as they washed off their hands, and the woman began making sandwiches for the four of them. "I'm Hellen, by the way. Can I ask what you kid's names are?"

"Match." the clone ground out as he dried off his hands, he kept his eyes towards the ground, not noticing the woman's raised eyebrow at the name.

"What about you darlin'?" She turned instead towards the girl, who paused. She didn't respond for a moment.

After a second of awkward silence, Match spoke again. "Cassiopeia." He blurted. The pale-skinned girl blinked owlishly at Match who also avoided her gaze as well.

Hellen smiled some as she set their food onto plates. "Right, so- were you both at a costume party of the sorts? Even went as far as to wear contact lenses for yours? Who are you both supposed to be anyways?" She continued to make conversation.

"Contacts lens, noun- a thin lens designed to fit over the cornea and usually worn to correct defects in vision." Match recited before squinting some. "I don't see how that applies here."

The girl, now dubbed Cassiopeia, blurted her own answer. "His eyes are a genetic defect." She responded; which surprised Hellen. Before they could finish their current topic of conversation, Darcy bounced down while humming- her eyes lighting up when they landed on Cass.

"I really like your dress!" She chirped before spinning around, her own polka-dotted skirt of her dress fluttering as she did. "Mama made my dress! Do you like it?"

Cassiopeia smiled. "It is a very beautiful dress."

Hellen asked both Darcy and Cassiopeia to set the table, though the pale-girl stared at the plates in her hand without a clue as to where they went. Luckily, Darcy jumped at the chance to teach her how to set the table. As they sat down to eat, they listened to Darcy's constant chatter about the farm, Match looking warily at the food while his companion watched the others- looking fascinated by the process of eating. She tentatively picked up her sandwich and took a tiny bite.

After lunch, Hellen told Darcy to go play outside as she started to collect their dishes. Match stood awkwardly at the bar, as Hellen kept shooting looks in their direction. Eventually, when she was done washing dishes, she pulled the plug and watched the soapy water spin down the drain. As she dried her hands, she shot looks at them. "So, are you kids runaways?" She asked bluntly.

Cassiopeia rubbed her arm with a small frown. Not sure how to answer. "Of a sort?"

Match gave another grunt. "We had to." He crossed his arms defensively over his chest with a scowl. "We're not going back." He snarled.

The older woman's eyes flickered back and forth between them, before settling on a softer look. "My husband wouldn't understand, but I do. I ran away from the city- I know what it's like." She stated quietly, her gaze looking vacant for a moment as if lost in thought- or perhaps memory. She shook her head, dark brown hair falling out of her bun. "It doesn't matter now though, that was in my youth. But- the point is if you need somewhere to stay while you get your bearings- I might be able to convince Kenneth to let you stay. But, you'll have to pull your own weight and help out with chores around here."

Match and Cassiopeia shared a look. They could dismiss the gesture, but Match was still recovering and Varinax was who knows where. They could use all the help they could get. Match gave a small nod, and Cassiopeia clapped her hands together with a smile. "We will both be more than happy to help if you would allow us to stay."

Hellen gave a small smile. "Well, I'm one of the few able to get through my husband's stubborn head." She then looked them both up and down. "How about I go see if there are any clothes that might fit you both, and you get cleaned up? I think my oldest son's clothes might fit you-" she gestured to Match. "Considering he's off at college, he likely won't mind. As for you, you're a bit of a string bean like my niece Delilah- she leaves her spare clothes here all the time. I reckon there might be something that'll fit." She dried off her hands on a handtowel before hanging it on the handle of the stove. "You both stay here, I'll be right back."

As she went up the steps disappearing into the floor above, they both shared another look.