𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘴

-

America ; 16 August ; Y/N

I slammed the front door closed in frustration and let out a long and annoyed groan. School was the worst today.

"I'm not even going to ask how your day was." Dad comes out from the kitchen and leans on the door frame, smirking at me.

"Everyone is so annoying and stupid and rude and I just hate them all!" I half yelled as I began walking towards to the stairs.

"Whoa there tiger, aren't you forgetting anything?" Dad asks. I sigh and walk over and hug him. He ruffles my hair once we pull away. "Aren't you going to ask if we're moving back?" He looks at me, confused as to why I hadn't asked yet.

"I don't see a point. I've asked everyday for the last two years and the answer is always no. I've lost hope dad. There's nothing I can do to fix it." I sigh as I walk past him and up the stairs.

Dragging my feet down the hall, I entered my small room. I threw my bag next to my desk before collapsing onto my bed. Two years. It had been two years since I said I'd be back. Two years since he nodded and kissed me on the forehead. Two years since I waved to him while boarding the plane, expecting to see him in a month.

Resisting the flow of tears, I checked the date on my phone. 16 August. No wonder my day has sucked. It's his birthday. I sigh and get up, going downstairs and into the kitchen to make the same thing I made him every year. A coffee jelly flavoured cupcake.

I'm no baker, so this took me a decent amount of time. As soon as I'd finished putting the initials onto the top, I checked the time. 11pm. I went upstairs with the cupcake in my hand.

I tiptoed into my room since my mom and dad were probably asleep by now. I set the cupcake down on my desk and opened a small box to reveal old photos, a rose, letters and a single pink candle. I picked out the candle and put it in the cupcake.

Opening another draw, I got out a piece of paper and began writing a letter. I always did this on his birthday. Even if it wasn't his birthday and I was just sad or missing him I'd write one as if he was going to open it and read it. After an hour of writing and drawing, I folded the letter and put it into an envelope and put that envelope into the box on my table that the candle was in.

I checked the time again. 11:58. I lit the candle with my lighter I had. The only reason I had it was because of the cute dog sticker decorating it. I quietly waited until the clock struck midnight.

Blowing out the candle, I smiled.

"Happy birthday Kusuo."

-

Japan ; 16 August ; Saiki

It was 8 pm already. Why hadn't they all left. This is getting annoying now. Not only would I never get peace at school, but now in my own home. Teruhashi and Yumehara brought out a cake with 17 candles on top. Everyone began cheering.

Once the cake was placed in front of me, everyone began singing Happy Birthday. Nendo's voice really stuck out. Not because it was good, but quite frankly the opposite. He didn't hit a single note.

"Come on Saiki-chan! Blow out your candles and make a wish!" Teruhashi clasped her hands together and everyone else nodded.

"You can't tell us what you wish for though, because then it won't come true." Kaido smiled at me. I shrugged and figured it would make them leave sooner if I obliged.

I leaned forward slightly and closed my eyes. Thinking intensely about a peaceful day or infinite coffee jelly, I decided the coffee jelly would be my wish. That's when I was hit with a memory.

~

"Come on  Ku~ I made it especially for you! Just try some and don't be too harsh." The H/C haired girl smiled at me. I lifted a corner of my mouth into a lopsided smile as she slid the home-made coffee jelly cupcake over to me.

Cautiously, I lifted it up and examined it, the wrapping was baby blue with little strawberries on it. Y/N huffed, and my gaze went over the cupcake and to her face. She crossed her arms, expecting me to take a bite.

I pulled the wrapping paper from the brown treat and brought it to my lips, taking a bite as she smiled at me.

"Well? Do you like it?" She asked, excited.

I nodded vigorously and chomped the rest down quite fast. It wasn't only the taste that was great, but the fact that she had taken time out of her day to make me a cupcake for my 13th birthday.

She then made me one each year until the year she left when we were 15. What I wouldn't give for another cupcake, or for her back.

~

I exhaled through my nose at the memory. Deciding on my wish, I gently blew the candles out.

'I wish Y/N would come back home.'

-

890 words