27

↓↓

↓↓

"I betrayed her trust"

•••

Bella was finally back from Florida, which was a huge relief to Hayley. When they reunited at the Cullen's house, the two girls hugged tightly, acting as if they hadn't seen each other in years.

Hayley winced slightly at the pressure Bella applied on her broken ribs. Jasper frowned, feeling her pain. "What's wrong?" Bella asked, noticing the discomfort the couple shared.

Hayley let out a small laugh and shrugged her shoulders. "Just a rough training session with my mom," she lied.

"I leave for two days, and your mom beats you up, huh?" Bella laughs, believing the lie.

"Well I wouldn't have to train so hard if your clumsy ass wasn't always in danger," Hayley joked, making Edward and Jasper smile.

"Fair enough," Bella said with a laugh. "So, what else did you do this weekend? Anymore wedding preparations?"

"Um, not really. I'm pretty sure we decided on a date, and a place," Hayley informed, smiling at Jasper.

"Really? When and where?" Bella asked.

"June 28th," Jasper answered.

"And in the woods by their house," Hayley finished.

"I can't believe you guys are getting married so soon," Bella said.

"Well, we already know we want to be together forever, so why not make it official?" Jasper said, grabbing Hayley's hand.

"But marriage is just a piece of paper," Bella said, making Edward roll his eyes.

Hayley shook her head. "It's so much more than that," she argued. "It's our way of promising each other forever. Our way of knowing we'll never be alone. We'll share a last name, a house, a life.."

"I love you," Jasper said to Hayley, kissing her.

"I love you, too," she replied.

Bella smiled at the engaged couple before turning back to her own boyfriend, who was already looking at her. He grabbed a hold of her hand and pulled her closer, kissing her cheek.

"Marry me," he whispered, asking her again.

*

Bella and Hayley both stayed the night at the Cullen's house, so they all carpooled the next morning. As soon as they pulled into the school's parking lot, the smell of a wolf caught Hayley's attention. The vampires didn't seem to notice, as Edward continued talking to Bella and Jasper continued massaging circles into Hayley's hand.

"Wolf," Hayley whispered, quiet enough so only the vampires could hear.

Edward looked out of his window and spotted Jake. "What?" Bella asked, noticing the way her boyfriend tensed.

"If I asked you to stay in the car, would you?" Edward asked, getting out.

Hayley and Jasper quickly followed, as well as Bella. "Of course not," Hayley mumbled.

The four walked over to Jacob Black. The teen wolf was standing by his motorcycle with his arms crossed over his chest. His short, black hair was wet and a scowl laid rest on his face.

"Hey," Bella said when they got close enough.

"Charlie said you left town," Jake said.

"Yeah. To visit my mom. Why?" Bella asked.

"He's checking to see if you're still human," Edward said, reading Jake's thoughts.

"Look, I'm here to warn you," Jake said to the vampires. "If your kind come on our land again-"

"Wait, what?" Bella asked, and Hayley sighed.

Jake looked at Edward and Hayley. "You didn't tell her?" he asked.

"Back off," Hayley snapped.

"Just leave it alone, Jacob," Edward told him.

"Tell me what?" Bella asked, looking at Edward and Hayley.

"Emmett and Paul had a misunderstanding," Edward said. "It's nothing to worry about."

"Listen to you," Jake scoffed. "Did you lie to get her out of town, too?"

"You should leave. Now." Edward warned.

"She has a right to know. She is the one the redhead wants," Jake said.

"Victoria?" Bella asked. "Alice's vision."

"We were trying to protect you," Hayley said.

"By lying to me?" Bella asked. "Is that why you winced in pain when I gave you a hug?"

"Bella.." Hayley tried.

"We're gonna talk about this, but.." she turned back to Jake. "You. Why haven't you called me back?"

"I had nothing to say," Jake said, turning to leave.

"Well, I have tons. Hold on," Bella said, going after him.

"Hey," Edward said, trying to stop her. "Bella."

"Edward, you have to trust me," she said.

"I do trust you. I... It's him I don't trust," Edward said.

The Swan girl didn't say anything as she walked away and got on the back of Jacob's bike. She put a helmet on, grabbed onto his waist, and left. Hayley sighed in defeat as she watched them leave.

"Damn it," she muttered.

Jasper walked over to her and placed a kiss on her forehead. "She'll be okay," he assured her.

"I know," she replied, nodding her head. "I trust the wolves. I just.. I betrayed her trust."

"She'll forgive you," Edward told her. "You're too important to her."

"So are you," Hayley said.

"He loves her," Jasper stated, glancing at Edward. "He loves her as much as you do."

"That's why I don't trust him," Edward said.

"Afraid he'll steal your girl?" Hayley said, a playful smile on her face.

Edward scoffed. "As if," he laughed.