CHAPTER 05

MACIE SIGHED as she put the box of donuts on the table and started the coffee machine

MACIE SIGHED as she put the box of donuts on the table and started the coffee machine. She dropped Max off at the arcade with a bag of quarters and her skateboard so she could leave whenever she wanted.

While the coffee was dripping, Macie took off her coat and walked into the bathroom, checking on her lip. It had scabbed overnight but stood out against her skin. Macie put on a baseball cap and kept it low on her face.

When she walked back into the main room of the station, Callahan and Powell were already digging into the donuts and coffee, "Hey, blondie."

"Morning, boys." Macie smiled, wincing as it tugged on her lip,

"What happened to your lip?" Callahan asked from his own desk, half a donut in his mouth,

"Oh, nothing." She sat down, sipping on her own coffee, "Ran into a doorframe last night."

"Better not let the chief see it." Powell commented, "He'd think someone ganged up on you."

"I can handle him myself." Macie stated, rolling her eyes.

They heard the door open, "Speaking of the devil." Callahan smirked,

"That can't be him, it's only 9." Macie said, checking the clock.

"I like the element of surprise." Jim smirked as he walked into the room, grabbing a donut, "No apples." He said, pointing at Macie.

She ducked her head so he wouldn't see her lip, "Yes, sir."

He stood there for a moment before flicking the hat off her head, "Hey!" 

Jim grabbed her chin to look at her lip, "What happened?"

"It's not a big deal." Macie sighed, pulling away, "You haven't gotten any calls yet-"

"I don't care about the calls, Macie. What the fuck happened?" Jim growled and Macie's eyes widened,

"Didn't think you cared that much, chief." She mumbled.

He paused before backing off, "I don't. Just... be more careful, kid." He stated before walking into the office and slamming the door,

"Wow..." Callahan commented after a moment of silence, "That went better than I thought."

Macie rolled her eyes before stomping into Hopper's office, "What was that?"

"What, Macie?" Hopper groaned, setting down his mug,

"Why did you have to make it into a big deal? Nothing happened, it's not like someone hit me." Macie placed her hands on her hips, 

Hopper placed his elbows on his desk and stared up at her, "You're lying."

"No, I'm not." She stated, glaring at the older man,

"Yes, you are. You have a tell, kid." He leaned back and picked up his mug once again, 

"Oh, really?" Macie smirked, "If you really think I'm lying, what's my tell?"

"You really think I'm gonna give that information up? Ha!" The phone from Macie's desk rang and he took a sip of his coffee, "You gonna get that?"

Macie let out a groan of frustration before opening the door to leave. Before she could, he called out her name, "If I see another mark on your face, I'm not gonna let it go."

She swallowed nervously, "Yes, sir."