James - Waiting for Amber

Start from the beginning

“Ain’t you supposed to be on a date?” Buster asked, ignoring James griping.

“Yeah, well she stood me up, and that waiter is taking his time bringing the check.” James answered.

“Well, I don’t know why you forced that woman to go on a date with you in the first place.”

“Yeah, well, it was just something to do.”

“Were you really going to force her to go on that trip with you.

“Naw man, I was just gonna tell her to get 3 tickets for you, me, and Carl like we discussed. But I ain’t thinking I’m gonna take Carl anywhere. He gettin on my last nerve.”

“Dang dog, I wish you two would squash your beef.” Buster said,

“Beef, what beef? I ain’t got no beef with him.” James said.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about, you know about Tasha.”

“Tasha…come on man, why you bringing ancient history up. You telling me that fool is still sweatin Tasha?”

At that moment Amber walked into the restaurant. She had on a dress that was hugging her curves.

“Hold on Buster, I think, well I hope this is my date.”

“OK, Dog…See ya tomorrow in the studio.”

“Bye…” James said while hanging up.

Amber walked gracefully to the table.

“Mr James Williams.” Amber asked.

“Amber Thompson.” James smiled and said.

The waiter seater her in the table.

The waiter asked Amber, “Can I get you a drink before I take your order?”

James said, “She will have…”

“I will order my own drink.” Amber said forcefully.

James threw up his hands and said, “Fine.”

“Just bring me some white wine.” Amber said.

The waiter looked clueless. He said, “We have a number of white wines, should I…”

“Why don’t you just bring one of your Chardonnays.” James interrupted.

“I’ll be right back with your drink.” The waiter said as he left.

Amber leered at James.

“I’m certainly glad you decided to come.” James said.

“OK, let’s get right to the particulars. First, I am not going on this trip. Second, I have 2 tickets in my briefcase and a travel itinerary. Third…”She looked at James who was staring at her.

“…why are you staring at me?” Amber said interrupting her speech that sounded rehearsed.

“I’m just admiring your beauty.” James said.

A smile almost emerged on her face and then her face hardened again.

“Mr. Williams, are you listening to me?” Amber said.

“It’s James.” James smiled.

Amber reached into her briefcase and pulled out a folder. She gave him the folder.

James took the folder and looked in it. And skimmed it for two minutes.

“I have a couple problems with this.” James said.

“And what might that be?” Amber said.

“First, I need 2 more tickets, I think I’m gonna make this a work trip, I have some work I need to get done.”

“We can do that, and what is your other problem?”

“You only have one room booked for me and you, now don’t you think that is a bit presumptuous? How about you book one suite for you and one suite for me.” James said.

Ambers eyes flared. “Are you listening to me?”

“Not really…” James said with a smile.

Amber rolled her eyes.

The waiter walked up with her drink which Amber took a sip of.

“Answer this question for me.” Amber said.

“OK…”

“Why me? You have tons of women who would fall over themselves to be with you, why do you want a woman who doesn’t even know the songs you sing?” Amber asked.

“You don’t know the songs I sing?” James said smiling. He stood up and said it loud enough for a few in the restaurant to hear.

“Will you be quiet and sit down.” Amber whispered.

James said it loud enough for the whole restaurant to hear.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, this beautiful woman here claims she hasn’t heard any of my songs.” James pointed at Amber who looked away in an attempt to not be seen.

“Have you heard my songs?” James walked over to a women in a table next to his and asked.

“Yes…oh yes…” The woman said.

“How about you brother? Have you heard any of my songs?” James asked the man with her.

“Yes sir.”

The pianist stopped playing.

“How about you Mr. Piano Man. Have you heard any of my songs?”

“Yes…” The pianist yelled.

“Well this woman hasn’t heard any of my songs, so I am going to change that.”

The pianist began playing, “Don’t say no.”

James walked over to the piano and started singing.

He added Amber’s name to the lyrics.

The women were really into his singing and the pianist was overjoyed to play for him.

James still had the pipes as he sang loud enough for the whole restaurant to hear him without amplification.

When the song ended James shook the pianists hand who the pianist almost shook James arm out the socket.

The people clapped and James walked back to his table and said. “Now you have heard one of my songs, who was it?”

“It was all right.” Amber said while busting out laughing. “It was amazing…” She said amending her initial statement.

“So now that you have loosened up, let’s start this business meeting over.” James said intentionally not calling it a date.

“Now Ms. Thompson, let’s talk about the trip you are planning for me.” James said with a smile.