Chapter 4

Presley's POV

I had my arms sprawled across the table I was sitting at.

The slice of cake and cup of mint tea mother had brought were still waiting for me untouched.

Soon after I had arrived here two hours ago a bad thunderstorm rolled into town.

So much for not giving up no matter what.

Believe me I tried to make my way outside but my mom pulled me back to my chair telling me that the storm was too dangerous.

If I wasn't so good at behaving as told I would have probably been sneaking through the streets by now.

But no, I didn't want mom to have to worry about my safety.

By my age I was ready to protect myself but she couldn't see me as anything but her baby.

She'd have to let me go in the next few days anyways.

Over the course of the war they had fallen so short on men that children like me would only have to wait until they reached their fifteenth birthday to join the army.

Training was only going to last us a month and a half at most instead of a years worth.

How anyone could learn how to fight in so little time was beyond me but I guess soon I would find out.

As I picked up the fork beside my plate and started poking at the cake I lacked my normal enthusiasm about my favorite treat.

The tea also tasted dull in comparison to its average flavor.

It was as if failure took away the whole joy of eating altogether.

By the time I was done with my snack the thunder was still booming and lightning was still flash'in in the dark cloudy sky.

I suddenly felt the warm hand of my mother rest on my shoulder.

"It's not you're fault darling," she said soothingly, "The storm must have been a sign that you aren't meant to find her."

I glanced up at her sadly, "Do you really think so?"

My mother nodded and smiled, "Don't worry I have a feeling God will lead you to her someday. You still have so much time to find her. Today isn't the only day in your life."

I smirked cheerfully and popped out of my gloomy posture, "How do you always know how to make me feel better?"

Mom giggled, "You are actually quite easy to motivate."

I smiled bigger and jumped to hug my mom, "Thanks mother!"

Maybe she was right and God was going to help me.

Yeah it did seem crazy but I had unbreakable faith and maybe just maybe the Lord would answer my calls for help in the future.

Tanya's POV

The sound of banging of thunder and the patter of rain filled my ears.

It had started right when I had started to forget the feeling of the wet clothing.

So of course I had to go through forgetting it yet again.

The warmth of a lantern slowly helped dry me I began reading a book I had brought with me.

Finally getting cozy I smiled.

The only sound that could be heard in small room was the crackling of the small lantern flame.

I soon found myself laying there silently back in hand with a big grin plastered to my face.

For my whole life I have loved to keep these moments of me seeming happy or childish secret from basically everyone.

I couldn't threaten my job by something as dumb as letting those sorts of things slip.

It was better for people to only know of the things that made me happiest.

Coming on the top of that list was the suffering of others.

It gave me such a rush and helped my job at the same time.

Speaking of my job I was told in the letter to come back in two days right?

Just two days!

I really didn't understand it, sometimes I hated the fact Being X put in this situation and others I loved it.

Yeah it really doesn't make much sense.

I tucked my knees in and snuggled up further into the blankets.

Figuring that one out was for another time, right now I should just focus on vacation.

(So I got back on again. Sorry for the shorter chapter. Gosh, I remember getting annoyed with authors for not updating frequently or having tiny chapters. Now I'm the one people are probably getting annoyed at! Anyways,I leave for a while and come back to this story having 374 views! Thank you all so much! I didn't expect you all to like the story much! I kinda feel like giving you readers a name. Foxies, Friends, or this one is cute, Kin. Kin means family by the way. Leave a vote or suggestion in the comments. See ya later!)