Chapter 21 A magic moment

Sarah toweled herself dry. Then she pulled on a loose cotton T-shirt and slid into bed to sit hugging her knees as she stared sightlessly at a print positioned on the opposite wall.

The events of the past few hours played and replayed through her mind until she made a concentrated effort to dismiss them through prayers.

Where was Matteo? 

Ensconced in the spare bedroom, or had he left her condominium?

She had no way of knowing. 

They had kissed and shared intimate moments before. Now, she doesn't know how to deal with him. 

She is anxious and at the same time concerned about him sleeping in her place. She had a vivid memory of the way her body reacted to his. 

The protective feel of his hand at her back. The intense warmth in his eyes when he looked at her. The feel of his mouth on hers. The way he invaded her senses and stirred them as no man had ever done before.

Sarah shifted position, picked up a book from the bedside table and read for a while. She skimmed sentences and turned pages, only to discard it with dislike at her inability to focus on the plot.

All she needed, she determined as she switched off the light, was a good night's sleep.

~*~*~*~

Sarah woke with a fright. The images so vivid for the space of a few seconds that she was prepared to swear they were real.

Miguel, maniacal. 

"Dear Papa God," Sarah whispered as she shifted into a sitting position and switched on the lampshade. Light flooded the room. 

She relished the reality of familiar surroundings. Then she lifted her hands to her cheeks and discovered they were wet.

She rubbed them dry, and then she slid out of bed. She pulled on a robe, and walked quietly out to the kitchen. 

A cold drink would quench her thirst.

The night was warm, and she had an urge to slide open the wide glass doors and let the fresh air blow away the fears of the past few hours.

Sarah stepped out onto the terrace and took a long swallow of cool water. 

It could have been ten minutes before she returned indoors. The sight of a tall male figure framed in the lounge brought her to a shocked standstill.

Her normal mind assured it was Matteo.