𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓁𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 | the letter

I hear the door creak open and I stuff my head under my pillow; still, I could see the redness of my eyelids from the morning sun.

"Master Howell, your parents are requesting your wake." His voice was gravelly, like he just gargled fish paste.

Charles. I could always count on him to ruin my Saturday.

"Master How-"

"I'm awake Charles." I groan from under my pillow, "you can go tell them that."

I here shuffling then a clear of his throat. "They want you up sir."

I breath deeply through my nose trying to contain my annoyance. "Okay.... I'll get up. Now please, leave."

I don't hear any footsteps so that means he's still standing there. I wait for him to say for me to get up again so I can yell at him this time. I usually get up 10 minutes after he tells me the first time so why is he being so pushy? Unless...

"I'm afraid it's important sir," his voice quivering, "you've got a letter."

I throw the pillow off and sit up instantly. Charles is mirroring the shock on my face as my mind whirls with different thoughts and my hands suddenly get clammy. Now? So soon?

••••

After washing up, I had closed the door on the maids that offered to clean me, I stare at myself in the mirror. I try to see what everyone else who knew our family name saw. Those cold, ruthless eyes were just a dark boring brown with bags underneath them. The rugged and gruesome face was a pale and scared one. I can't do this. There is no way I can. I turn 18 in a three more months and I got a letter today? I'm not ready.

I pull on a soft white shirt with black slacks. I will most likely get scolded by not only by my parents, but the caretakers too for not wearing 'proper dress' around the house but i hate wearing that stupid suit, it's tight and itchy, and that crown is way too heavy. Also, it was a Saturday.

Coming down the grand staircase, I make sure to keep my back straight and shoulders back. My mother was watching from below and the sting of a ruler was still fresh in my mind till this day. The smell of a traditional English breakfast hits my nose as I turn the corner into the large dining room. My father sat at the head of the table, his back straight but head turned talking into the waiter's ear. His suit a black and gold today to match his crown. The scruff on his face seemed to grow overnight, that surely wasn't there last week. My mother sat rod straight, her diamond earrings throwing small beads of light around the room as she wipes her mouth daintily. Her crown sits high on her head, jewels and crystals a beautiful silver that matched her slim dress. Her hair was pulled back in a braided bun. She sees me enter and her eyes immediately go to my clothes. I gulp. Should've just worn the suit.

"Daniel. Nice of you to join us. Please, come sit." She smiles anyway, placing her napkin down beside her after she folds it in half.

I come into the room and I see my father's first in command looking at me along with the kitchen maids that stand  by the table. I pull the chair out and sit across from her. I still hear my dad whispering to the waiter and try to zone in on what they're saying but my mother gives me a look that makes me pick up my fork just as a hot plate of food is placed in front of me. I pick up a sausage just as I hear my father say "Dismissed."

"Charles told me it took him three tries to get you up this morning." Mother makes conversation as she sticks a small piece of tomato in her mouth.

I glare towards Charles who is staring pointedly at the nearby wall but I know he sees me. A snitch is what he is.

"I had a rough night," I answer, "nightmares."

"Do I need to phone your therapist?" She asks nonchalantly and my ears turn pink.