17. Unsatisfactory Answers. (part one)

En başından başla

Draco smirked. “I have come to realize that I tend to say that a lot Granger,” Hermione stifled a laugh at his words. “You see, I'm trying to expand my vocabulary.”

By now, the mischievous glint in his eyes had taken over his form in full. No longer was the conversation funny, it was greatly amusing to the Gryffindor.

“So you can insult more people with newer words?” at that, the laughter died down a bit. Hermione had contemplated saying that in her mind but realised that it wasn't such a big deal, apparently, it was.

“Don't expect me to be perfect Granger, I'm still trying.” he lifted his form off the bed, untangling his limbs from hers as he made an attempt to reach for his discarded  black jumper on the floor when Hermione was suddenly up on her feet, the blanket which had been around her before, falling down on the sheets with the softest of thuds.

Draco tried his utter best to resist the temptation of her bare chest right at his disposal.

Of course they had just been playing around like lovesick couples do. Nothing actually happened.

Resist, resist, resist.

“I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that.” her voice was apologetic.

Ah, so that's what it was about; Granger being the perfect woman she was, all modest and nice.

Instead of replying, Draco gathered the velvety blanket from the bed and draped it over her shoulders, a gesture so modest yet protective, it even left Draco himself baffled in the aftermath. A sigh escaped his lips, eyes closing. He reached to hold her at arm's length and then, ever so slowly, look up to meet her soft eyes. “Get some sleep.” he bent forward and kissed her on the forehead, his lips lingering on her chilled skin for almost a full minute. Hermione felt herself closing her eyes, only reopening when he moved away from her, it suddenly felt cold without his embrace, without him.

Without another word, Draco pulled over the black jumper on his torso and made his way to the door. Hermione still don't move from her place; small hands grasping onto the blanket tightly.

“Draco?”

His blond head turned back to her.

Won't you sleep in the same bed as me? Won't you let me hold you when you scream in your nightmares tonight? Won't you kiss me goodnight?

“I love you.” and somehow, just those three words spoke for everything.

She caught a ghost of smile on his lips, clearly relaxed. “God, you're gonna be the death of me.” he mumbled just loud enough for him to hear and then, he was taking long strides in her direction and was already kissing her like a madman in love.

“I don't think that word does justice for what I feel towards you Granger.” they heard lightning and then, another massive roar of thunder slicing the cold December air. Thick droplets of rain smacked against the glass windows with the ever so often rumbling of thunder in the background.

“I know it doesn't.” Hermione surprised herself with her reply. “But I know our eyes tell a different story, Draco.”

____________

At about five in morning, Draco found himself in the small kitchen the dorm roofed. Hermione was soundly sleeping in their bed. (instead of sleeping in separate rooms, they had decided to share; ever so often switching between Draco's and Hermione's)

Now, sitting atop the small marble counter sipping the cool transparent liquid, Draco found himself slowly drifting towards his past. Losing his mother a few days ago had been a painful reminder of the nasty aftereffects the war had come with. Even though Voldemort and his army had been defeated, this new aura of conspiracy created enough havoc in his mind to make him cringe. His mind went back to what his mother had said that day at the Manor. Before she had died, she had told him that Voldemort was rising again but how could that be? Potter had defeated him, everyone witnessed the greatest wizard of all time turn into nothing but dust and ashes, then how was this possible? Draco had already deduced why his mother had died; it was as evident as daylight, he wondered why hadn't McGonagall concluded that already.