Chapter 7

When I had stepped out of the house hours ago, I was met with nothing. Nothing but darkness surrounding me wrapped into a cold chill within the air.

A pit began to form in the middle of my stomach at the thought of Luke outside at such a horrid hour, alone. My body grew fidgety at every passing moment without him and I had no one to blame but myself.

Out of all the people to possibly walk out of the bathroom, it had to be him, it just had to be. Over the last hour, I've convinced myself it was a sign from the universe. Most likely telling me I wasn't going to get away with what I was doing without repercussions, without facing him. Little does the universe know how fragile Luke actually is.

I've searched millions of streets on end for the lost boy I just can't seem to find. And for a moment, I was going to face defeat, head home and hope Luke found his way back home or at least the party. Because those who don't want to be found don't ever end up found.

But I don't have it in me to go home now without finding him and making sure he's safe. I think he even knows I wouldn't be fully capable of leaving him out here.

So walking toward the end of the street, I'm met with many closed stores and an entrance to a park when a memory occurs to me.

Once a few months back, Bradley got frustrated with the way the other boys were acting around him. Still can't figure out how he caught on, but he did. He ran out the group home rapidly, tears streaming down his face and this is where he came, the park.

Something deep within me told me to keep walking into the entrance as another had its doubts telling me to steer clear. It wouldn't make sense for Luke to end up all the way down here, but then again it did all at the same time.

Tugging my hands into my front pockets, I walked into the entrance of park cautiously. Fallen leaves laid everywhere signaling the change in season as well as how quickly the year before us is already passing by.

I couldn't help but smile at the nature surrounding me. Trees stood upright, almost completely covered in multi-colored leafs. This park was always a sight for sore eyes.

Walking around further into the park, I imagined children playing on the jungle gym, hanging from the monkey bars and sliding down the slide after school and on the weekends without a care in the world, wishing I had lived that childhood.

It wasn't until moments after dwelling over the past when my eyes finally caught sight of a slowly moving swing and its reason. It was Luke's hands up against his chest, shivering slightly and swinging back and forth on the swing.

He was beautiful, a true beauty, even shivering against the nature surrounding him.

Cautiously walking to the front of his positioned body,

"Hey," I spoke softly, desperately trying not frighten him. He heard me. He knew who it was standing before him, but choose not to acknowledge me. I could tell by the way his body shook ever so slightly at my small word filling the night air.

"Luke, please don't ignore me," I beg helplessly removing my long sleeved flannel and walking closer to

him before kneeling.

"Please, don't. Just, just let me explain," I continuously beg, placing the flannel around his shoulder for some type of warmth.

Reluctantly, he adjusted his face upward looking me in my eyes while he struggled to put his naked arms into the thick flannel.

"Let me help," I speak once more, holding out each sleeve for him to quickly place his small arm through.

"I know I'm the last person you want to see, but please let me at least try to explain," I say, looking into his eyes. He looked as if he was on the verge of tears or finally just coming down from them. His eyes were red rimmed, splotchy and his lip was quivering, but I'm honestly starting to rethink if it was due to cold relentlessly night closing in on us.