Chapter 1

Ashton's POV*

The halls were empty when I had finally decided on leaving the gym locker room to head to English class.

Practice was pressured and exhausting, given the fact we have our first game next week and everyone's counting on me to lead the football team to victory, but I had pulled through on the double practice nonetheless, knowing we had to win the game next week or the season would be over before it even started.

Walking down the hall, all I can hear is the sound of my feet clacking against the floor as I make my way further down the hall to the only open-doored classroom.

When I finally reach the door, I step inside, causing the students to pop their heads up in curiosity. All except one student looked to meet my gaze entered in the classroom. He sat toward the back alone with his eyes glued to his book, shoulders slumped and dressed in all black.

"Ashton, would you care to tell the class why you're late?" Mrs. Baker speaks up, snapping my gaze from Luke and gaining my full attention as I stand in front of the class promptly.

"Practice," I mutter, walking toward the back and feeling bold today, bolder than usual as I take a seat next to Luke as everyone eyes me nervously.

"I've told you this once and I will tell you this again. Being captain of a team doesn't give you the privilege to just waltz into class whenever you please," she snaps, turning in her stance to face the board as she goes back to her lecture on modern day poetry.

The rest of class consists of me jotting down useless notes I probably won't ever use again as three varsity jackets turn their heads back at different moments to stare at me sitting next to Luke. The trio, known as my teammates, are giving me death glares and asking with their eyes what the hell am I doing here.

If I'm being completely honest, I don't know why I'm sitting back her alone, isolated from the whole class with Luke when I could have easily taken the seat in the middle of the class right next to Calum. It isn't like Luke's going to talk to me. If I thought any better, I'd think the kid hates me, but that isn't possible. He's never even muttered a simple word to me, sadly.

The class continues on a bit until the teacher asks a question regarding her lecture. No hands raise as she eyes everyone promptly. After moments of silence and no sudden movement from anyone in desk, the teacher calls on the only boy next to me who's looking directly down to his book in a concentrated manner.

"Luke? Care to tell us your opinion?" Mrs. Baker urges him confidently.

He looks up at her from his book for a millisecond before looking straight back down.

She asks again and he shakes his head no before looking directly next to him at me. His facial expression only meets mine for a few seconds, but by the glimpse I just received, I can tell he's begging for a savior. I don't know in what sense but for right now, I will be his.

Coughing, I raise my hand, begging to speak, "I think the writer is trying to get a point across."

"And what point is she trying to get across?" she asks, bringing her full attention to me and disregarding Luke.

As I continue to speak, I can tell he slightly slumps in relaxation at the thought of all the attention on me, as usual.

"Sadness. She's trying to inform us on the sadness she feels within. She's telling us how unaware everyone around her is, how oblivious they actually are to her hurting," I say and I don't even know where that came from. Sure, we've been reading this poem for days, but I haven't actually paid attention.

Mrs. Baker nods, pleased with my answer as she goes into great depth on just how sad the writer is to some extent.

Thinking back to moments before, blue eyes appear in my mind, bright piercing blue eyes, Luke's eyes. I only saw his face for a few seconds and I can already go into great detail regarding how beautiful the blonde boy actually is. Beautiful being a complete understandment within itself.