The loop the loop

You are getting some stuff ready for your next flight. You hope it won't be a scramble. You are wrong. An alarm sounds. You get up. Three minutes later you are about to launch off the aircraft carrier in an F-18. You love the thrill of racing through the air.

"Bluejay are you ready to go?" Your RIO asks.

"Yes Scott I am ready," You gesture to the air marshal to let you go. He does. You feel the aircraft shoot forward. You are now in the air.

"Bluejay turn heading 201," The ATC remarks. The fun never lasts long.

"Roger heading 201," you reply confirming the order.

"So (Y/N) what do you think we will be doing?" Scott asks. Good question

"I believe we will be incepting a boogie again," You reply as you roll the aircraft to bank. It's the only reason why they would sound the alarm. Two minutes later you have spotted a Russian MiG 29.

"Bluejay to tower I can confirm our boogie is hostile repeat our boogie is hostile, " you announce over the comms.

"you have permission to engage," comes the reply.

"Roger, " you confirm the order. Let's have some fun.

"Scott I'm going to do something stupid," you remark. You don't know if your plan will work.

"what?" Scott asks. He is concerned. You put the plane into a vertical climb. Then you do a loop the loop and end up behind the MiG.

"That was amazing," Scott compliments you. He would never have thought about the manoeuvre.

"Well, I'm not done yet," you remark as you open fire on the MiG. You hit the wing which causes the MiG to start spiralling into the ocean. A good outcome to the mission but you were hoping for a proper dog fight.

"Bluejay to tower I have shot down the hostile can I return to base?"

"Yes you can return to base," the ATC replies.

"Roger heading back to base," you confirm the order again. Seven minutes later you've made it back on to the aircraft carrier and you are having something to eat.

"(Y/N) that was some amazing flying," Scott compliments you again.

"what did she do?" One of your shipmates asks overhearing Scott's comment. They wouldn't know what you did because they weren't there.

"Well, I did a loop the loop and then fired on a MiG 29," you answer with a hand gesture to emphasise your point. Two hours later you are checking the F-18 that you took up in the air but you are interrupted.

"Hey (Y/N) the captain wants to see you," One of the crewmen remarks. It can't be good. Five minutes later you are in the briefing room with Scott and the captain.

"You wanted to see me Captain?" you ask just to make sure you are meant to be there. You are hit by a wave of anxiety.

"Yes, Scott was just telling me about your loop the loop," the captain replies. He is impressed.

"What about it sir?" You ask timidly.

"I talked to Captain Mitchell and he told me he would be happy to accept you into the top gun academy," he responds

"Oh ok," you reply a little more cheerful

"Don't worry about it because the Navy needs more dogfighters," your captain says to get you not to worry. It didn't really work the way he wanted it to.

"Anyway dismissed," Three minutes later you are in the mess hall having something to eat when you're interrupted by Scott.

"Scott to bluejay do I have permission to sit next to you?" Scott asks. It is a little in-joke with you and him

"Go ahead Scott and for future reference, you don't need to ask," you reply with a giggle. You have never liked it.

"You seem happier than usual," Scott remarks.

"That's because I have reached one of my goals and I get to learn a lost art," you respond

"And you get to learn with someone you fancy," he adds making you full-on laugh.

"I'm laughing so hard I might choke and anyway you're only my best friend and RIO nothing else," you manage to say before you burst out laughing again.

"What's got you in a fit of laughter?" one of the air marshals asks as he walks past.

"Jack I said (Y/N) fancies me but I was clearly wrong," he muses.

"Look if it's any consolation you were chosen to be my RIO because you know me the best and I had a say in it," you respond making both Jack and Scott laugh.

"Anyway I think we might want to get ready," Jack remarks. Seventeen minutes later you are back in the air and you are thinking about everything that has happened. You are also trying to line up with the visual aid.

"Gotcha," you utter as you line up perfectly.

"Scott are you ready to go?"

"Here's to the last carrier landing before top gun," Scott confirms.

"Yes," you respond as you continue the approach. A minute later, you are about to touch down when you feel the lurch of the arresting wire pulling the aircraft to a stop. It is almost emotional.

"So Scott what do you think about this ending for the carrier ops, for now, an uneventful sortie?" you ask so you can write it down in your diary.

"Sounds about right. It's for your diary right?" he responds.

"Yes," You are glad you keep a diary of all of your flights. Three days later you've arrived at the top gun academy and you are about to get settled when you are brutally stopped.

"captain Mitchel must be joking," one of the cadets remarks.

"He has gone and done it," Another one responds

"Done what?" you ask, making the atmosphere in the room awkward.

"I wonder if her call sign is booty?" Why do people have to be harsh?

"it's Bluejay," Scott chimes in for you

"and who would you be?" the same cadet as before turns on Scott but he is soon interrupted by Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell who has slammed some textbooks on his desk.

"let's get started," He declares as you all sit down again. At least he has the authority to get them to stop.