Somewhat nervously, I reached into his quiver for an arrow and fitted it to the bow, drawing the string with more difficulty than I had in previous days. This, I reflected sadly, was the result of my long period of malnutrition. I  adjusted the placing of my feet and chest, so I was side on. I could only draw the bow back a centimetre or so more however, so when I released the arrow it fell short. I dropped my bow arm dejectedly.

"I have not the strength anymore" I muttered. Legolas squeezed my shoulder with his slender hand.

"You will regain it in time." he consoled "I am sorry. Perhaps it is too soon for this". I shook my head slightly.

"If I do not build up my strength, I will never regain it. I've got to start practising."

"Then I admire your determination. I could help, if you will permit me to."

I hesitated for a second, my thoughts straying to the one attacker I had run so far to escape. I could almost feel his wandering hands on my body. However, I dismissed my nerves as nonsense. Legolas had only ever acted to protect me, and his intentions were purely to help. I nodded once all this had gone through my mind.

"Are you sure?" Legolas said, clearly seeing my moment of doubt. 

"Of course. Sorry, I was just thinking of something"

Legolas' frown deepened. "I know you told Aragorn- but, did something happen to you the night the men broke in to your home?"

The sudden worry tinged with horror on his bright face almost made me want to tell him of the men's intentions, but I restrained myself as the shame of the threats came back to me. "Being pulled from your bed by the cruel hands of strangers is beyond shocking. I did not know what they would do".

"I apologise, my friend. I should not have dragged the memory to the surface."

I shook my head "It's not your fault." I paused and then continued. "If you want dinner tonight, I suggest you give me a hand catching it". Legolas recognised the permission I gave and smiled. As I nocked the arrow he handed me, he stepped closer and put his hand on top of mine on the wood. He reached his other hand towards the string as I leaned towards his chest a little more to adjust my feet and pushed my fingers apart slightly.

"You could hurt yourself if your fingers are too close to the arrow" he said softly. I nodded. He put his fingers just outside of mine to give me control over the shot. As another rabbit hopped into our view, he helped me to draw back the string but encouraged me with a squeeze of his hand to aim towards it myself.

"Loose", I said, and together we released the arrow, which flew straight into the rabbit's eye. I gasped in delight, but Legolas tightened his hands on mine again, reaching for another arrow and shooting another, rather larger, rabbit down too.

I giggled as he let his hands fall and stepped away. "We did it!"

"Your aim was almost perfect!" Legolas grinned. "Once you regain your strength, we'll make an archer out of you."

"Do you think so?" I asked, my heart lifting in pride and my cheeks colouring.

"Almost certainly" said another, deeper voice. Both Legolas and I looked around to see Aragorn. His grey eyes were warm and he bowed his head courteously. "You'll outstrip my talent in a matter of weeks".

"Thank you, friends" I said, my blush deepening. "It was a team effort though."

"Only because your strength does not yet match your skill. In time, you will need no more help than I do now." Legolas said modestly.

"The fat rabbit was all yours though", I insisted. Legolas rolled his eyes.

"Well the smaller one was harder to shoot", he teased, joining Aragorn in laughing as my cheeks turned as red as a tomato at the determined praise given to me.