The Brigadier quickly looked around to make sure there was no-one else in sight. Then he leapt from the chair towards the maid, who had time for a single gasping intake of breath before the Brigadier’s hand clamped down hard over her mouth. He pushed her roughly back into the room she was just leaving, which was empty, he was relieved to see. That had been a bit of a gamble. He threw her to the ground and tore her uniform to strips, using it to tie her up while Grey shoved more cloth into her mouth as a gag and tied it in place with her belt. “Is this room used much?” he asked Tweed.

     The Underbutler turned spy had just stared in astonishment while the others bound the maid. He shook his head wildly. He swallowed a couple of times, staring at the maid who could barely move, so tight were the strips of cloth biting into her bare arms and legs. “I'm not even sure what this room is,” he said at last. “I don't think I've ever been in here.”

     The Brigadier picked up the whimpering maid and carried her through into the next room, which seemed to be a storeroom of some kind, full of dusty cabinets. He placed her gently on the floor and left, closing the door behind him. “It might be days before she's found,” protested Tweed as they went back out into the corridor.

     “Can't be helped,” said the Brigadier, not without sympathy as he got back into the wheelchair. “How long does Lord Komarov tend to stay in the library?”

     “All day, once he gets his nose in a book. No need go worry about bumping into him in the corridor.”

     “Good. I'd hate to have to tie up a cripple. Let's go.”

     Tweed nodded, nervously wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. The Brigadier stared at him in concern, and the spy took a couple of deep breaths, making a great effort to appear relaxed in case his distressed state attracted attention. Then, when he was ready, he resumed leading the way along the corridor, Grey pushing the Brigadier along behind him. “So, we're committed now,” he said. “The moment someone finds her, they'll know there're intruders in the palace. We have to get the Princess out now, or not at all.” The Brigadier nodded but said nothing.

     They passed more people as they went, but weren't challenged. “This is incredible,” said Grey quietly as they passed through a stretch of empty corridor. “The Brigadier looks nothing like Lord Komarov! He doesn’t even have a beard!”

     “All they see is a man in a wheelchair,” said Tweed, equally quietly. “And as a doorman, you are beneath notice.”

     “It still stretches credulity,” said the Brigadier. “If two men were able to get into Paisley Palace this easily, Leothan would have every guard's head on a spike.”

     “Maybe the Carrowmen are just too cowed and timid to try a stunt like this,” suggested Grey. “And as a result, security has become lax.”

     “It's still the King's palace in time of war,” pointed out the Brigadier. “King Nilon’s security is inexcusably lax.”

     “There's just nothing in this part of the palace that he cares about that much,” said Tweed. “The residential wing is different. I’ve been giving it some thought and I still have no idea how we're going to get in there.”

     “Those Above will provide,” said the Brigadier confidently. “Where are Lord Komarov's rooms compared to the rooms in which the Princess is being held?”

     “Nowhere near, I'm afraid. The Princess is being held in the Lavender Suite, the one used to hold imprisoned dignitaries. It has no external doors. To get out, you have to go around the Kelnish courtyard and along the Portrait Passage. There are bound to be guards everywhere, all of whom will refuse to allow Lord Komarov to pass, even if we can convince them that that’s who you are.”

     “If we can’t get past them, we’ll have to go through them,” said the Brigadier.

     Tweed laughed nervously. “Just the two of you? You're going to storm a palace with two men?”

     “In case you hadn't noticed, there are three of us,” said the Brigadier. “I assume you can handle a sword and a pistol?”

     “In case you hadn't noticed, I'm an Underbutler, not a soldier.”

     “You are whatever the King requires you to be. We’ll get weapons for you.”

     “I've had no training!”

     “The sharp end goes in the other guy,” said Grey with a grin. Tweed just stared at him in horror.

     The Brigadier stared at him for a moment, appraising how much use he'd be when the fighting broke out. At the very least, he'll draw some of the fire from us, he thought. Maybe that'll be enough. “Let's go,” he said. Grey pushed the wheelchair onwards, grinning cheerfully at the Underbutler, who wiped his mouth nervously again before hurrying after them.

     They passed along corridors, around corners and past other members of staff, all of whom paid them almost no attention until a woman in the uniform of a senior housekeeper paused and stared at the Brigadier. The Brigadier, knowing that she'd seen through the deception, leapt out of the wheelchair towards her. His hands went for her throat. No choice but to kill her quickly and quietly, he thought, and pray to Those Above that nobody hears the disturbance.

     “It's me!” said the woman, though, throwing off her headband. Grey hair fell around her head. “Don't kill me!”

     The Brigadier stared in surprise. “Soonia Darniss,” he said. “Traitor, under sentence of death...”

     “I can help you! I came here to try to free the Princess! I can help get you in there!”

     “Brigadier?” said Grey quizzically. “You know this woman?”

     “This is the woman who tried to kill the Princess. Turn her into a demon.”

     “Things have changed,” said Darniss desperately. She still had her dagger, but she knew just how useless it would be against this man. If he decided to kill her, she would die and there was nothing she could do to stop him. “Nilon tried to kill me. I have no future here any more. My only hope is to help Helberion win the war. I know you have no reason to trust me, but you can trust my desire for self preservation. I will do whatever I have to do to survive, and right now that means helping you to save the Princess.”