“Good,” said the Brigadier, nodding. “Lead on.”

     “What’s your name, anyway?” asked Grey as they walked. “And what do you do in the palace?”

     The small man stared at him in horror, but then shrugged. “You can already identify me, so what the hell. My name is Lucius Tweed and I'm the Underbutler, Gregory Hill’s deputy. That's useful, because if we meet a member of staff I can say that I'm on an errand for him.”

     “And if we meet Hill himself?” asked Grey.

     “They I'll say I'm on an errand for a member of the Royal Family.”

     There was a Radiant floating above the palace, they saw, and they were acutely aware that it must have been able to see them as they followed the path towards the palace. Hopefully, it had no reason to pay special attention to them. Tweed took them to a spot where there was a wooden bench with its back to a large hedge. The hedge hid them from the Radiant’s sight and Tweed left them there while he went the rest of the way alone. Half an hour later he returned and led them to a side entrance where he'd left a wheelchair on which clothes were piled. “Get changed quickly,” he said as the two Helberians began undressing. “There's something going on in there.”

     “What?” asked the Brigadier.

     “I don't know, but everyone seems very excited about something. Something to do with the war, and the Princess.” The two Helberians exchanged glances and started changing clothes faster.

     The Brigadier then sat in the wheelchair and Tweed draped a shawl over him to hide his toned, muscular frame. “You look far too big,” he said. “Hunch down a little.” The Brigadier did so, and let his head droop down towards his chest. He still felt conspicuous, but he heard Grey give a gasp of surprise. “Astonishing!” he said. “You’re a born actor, Brigadier."

     Tweed also looked impressed. “Maybe we’ve got a chance after all,” he said. “Grey, you push the chair, and remember. You're very junior in the household. Even the maids are higher than you. Act subservient to everyone, even the lowliest servant.” Grey nodded, and Tweed gestured for them to move.

     “We'll go again tomorrow if you like,” he said for the benefit of the guard on duty at the door. “Would you like that, Your Lordship?”

     “Too cold outside,” said the Brigadier, though, in a weak trembly voice. “Take me back to my rooms.”

     “It is a bit chilly,” agreed Tweed. “Perhaps it'll be warmer tomorrow. We can go see the maze. Would you like that?”

     “No,” replied the Brigadier. “Take me back to my room and get me a bottle of Taga.”

     “Taga? Perhaps some kelnish wine, Your Lordship.”

     “I said Taga you idiot. Kelnish wine is for animals.”

     The guard barely glanced at them as Grey wrestled the chair across the threshold, and he dismissed them from his attention entirely as they proceeded along the corridor. “So far, so good,” said Tweed. “Good bit of improvisation, but the way.”

     “Pay attention,” said the Brigadier, though. “People ahead.”

     They carried on their improvised conversation as they proceeded along the corridor, and everyone they passed dismissed them with a single glance until they reached the stairway up to the first floor, which alone had a connecting corridor to the guest quarters. The Brigadier had to get out of the wheelchair and limp up the stairs one step at a time, wheezing and grumbling and with Tweed supporting one arm, while Grey carried the wheelchair up. At the top he got back in the wheelchair, Tweed draped the shawl around him again and they prepared to move off. Just at that moment, though, a maid emerged from one of the side rooms and stared in surprise at the Brigadier. “I thought Lord Komarov was in the library,” she said. “I saw him there just a...”