"We can do that," Rick conceded, turned to face his group, whom all nodded approvingly, with the exception of Ellie.

The aquamarines of Rick's eyes burned with hers, until she eventually faltered, lowering her gun to her sides with a defiant eye roll.

Once the stranger had lowered his shotgun, the group slowly eased their drawn weapons, ensuring to keep bitter glares painted on their faces. It hadn't been of lack of trust, but of fear of disappointment in such a decadent world.

Ellie's reluctance had been heavily noted by the stranger as he stared ahead at the enraged group. Survival outside of such heavily fortified walls had depleted such levels of trust in people, almost relinquishing all compassion. It was down to Rick to breed hopefulness throughout the group, once again. And the CDC was going to be it. Rick had been certain of it.

"If you have stuff to bring in, bring it now, once that door is shut it stays closed," the stranger announced hastily, gesturing toward the heavy doors with a brief nod. "I'm Dr Edwin Jenner."

A stampede of the fastest members gathered together as they exited through the doors in a scramble to retrieve the belongings, leaving Ellie behind to watch as Daryl strolled outward. A small part of her had almost wished for him to turn back, only to feel the desire melting away with each shuffle of his footsteps.

  The door unexpectedly locked behind them with a thump, instantaneously raising suspicions in Ellie's mind like the hairs on her arms, though she simply dismissed it after Rick's nod of assurance.

  Jenner politely escorted the group through the dark corridor, halting ahead of an elevator, and motioned to them to enter. The group entered eagerly, squashing closely together as the ensured everyone had been inside, with the exception of Ellie. Her untrusting eyes squinted intensely as she gawked at the doctor. She could not shake the feeling that they should turn back, to escape while they still could.

  "Ellie," Rick warned, his voice low and assertive as he stared back, unsure what to make of her hesitance.

  Ellie's jaw snapped shut, tensely clenching as contemplated whether to step inside. With a gentle tug from Coda at her side, Ellie allowed herself to weave inside the elevator, finally taking her place wedged between Daryl and Glenn as they each shot one another a glance of discomfort. Through the awkward haze of unfamiliarity, she positioned herself closer to Glenn, to which he kindly
he held her hand platonically, gently squeezing it with reassurance.

  "Doctors always go around packin' heat like that?" Daryl inquired, referring to the gun in Jenner's hands, evidently unsettled and stunned at the sight of a doctor carrying heavy artillery. 

  "Well there were plenty left laying around, I familiarised myself," he clarified with a smirk, "You look harmless enough. Except you, I'll keep my eye on you." He motioned down to Carl, earning a small, cheeky grin as the young boy felt appreciated within the group.

  As the elevator rattled downwards, an uneasiness washed over Carol as she felt the thick walls slowly begin to roll inwards, suffocating her with each moment they had been enveloped in its metal.

  Carol let out a small sigh of worry, peering up to Jenner through doe eyes, "Are we underground?"

    "Are you claustrophobic?"

    "A little..."

  "Try not to think about it," he whispered with a wide smile. "Vi, bring out the lights in the big room," Jenner commanded, unravelling a disconcerted unrest amongst the group. "Welcome to Zone 5."

  "Where is everybody? The doctors; the staff?" Rick inquired upon inspecting the emptiness within the walls of the building.

  Somehow, the CDC appeared to be entirely abandoned by its previous inhabitants and subordinates, withering Jenner's authenticity within seconds. An inquisitive eyebrow raised high upon Ellie's forehead, sceptically awaiting Jenner's explanation for his missing constituents.