⁴², RULES AND REGULATIONS OF BREAKFAST

Start from the beginning

  "People eat breakfast for dinner."

  "And yet it's still breakfast for dinner," Sirius stressed, "When you eat fish for dinner it's not lunch for dinner, is it? No."

  "So eat pancakes and call it dinner."

  "If only the whole world understood that," Sirius sighed longingly, catching Madeline's distant expression in his peripheral vision, "Right, Mads? It's unfair to the food itself and all of us who love it."

  "Exactly, food should have no limits," Madeline agreed, making Remus sigh in defeat, knowing well enough he was outnumbered.

  But down the table just five seats, loud laughter cut through the chatter of the Great Hall, and both Gryffindors clearly saw Madeline's frown curve onto her features.

  "What's wrong?"

  "I miss Blue and Kai," Madeline admitted to Remus instantly, resting her chin on her hand, "I got swept up in everything and haven't seen then in months."

  "Hang out with them tonight," Sirius encouraged.

  "We have plans," The girl said, looking between Remus and Sirius, "Remember? Library then dessert in the kitchens."

  "We can do that any day," Remus said, smiling gently, "You should hang out with them."

  Madeline soon wore her own smile, leaning her head on Sirius' arm, the boy gladly wrapping it around her shoulder. She hummed in content as Remus picked up his silverware again, wolfing down the ham that had been stacked on his plate.

  "I love you, both," Madeline informed the boys, "Don't know what I'd do without you."

  "Spend time with your friends—"

  "Study by yourself—"

  "Obey curfew—"

  "You could just say you love me, too," Madeline deadpanned at the boys' banter.

  "We love you, too," Remus said with a boyish grin rivaling even Sirius'. 

ϟ

  Madeline wasn't sure how to approach the situation. She was overthinking it, probably, if she just walked up to them Kai would welcome her and she'd wear down Bluebelle, but it was terrifying. And, it wasn't like they were the only people in the common room, but they claimed the sofa and were adorably chattering with the occasional secretive giggle.

  "Hi."

  "Maddie," Kai cheered, scooting himself over closer to Bluebelle to give Madeline room to sit, "We got a bottle of Firewhiskey, gonna split it once the common room empties, wanna join?"

  Madeline looked to Bluebelle for a moment, and the blonde pulled an arm around Kai while giving her a smile.

  "Love to."

  It took ages for the Ravenclaw common room to empty to the trio's liking. They filled this time, naturally, with talk of quidditch and NEWT level classes, Bluebelle declared she'd be dropping out and live as a hermit in Australia.

  "Do you remember when we were actually going to leave?" Madeline laughed, the fuel of the firewhiskey amping her amusement up, "We had it all planned out!"

  "Yes!" Bluebelle laughed loudly, "Oh, where were we even going to go?"

  "Paris," Madeline laughed, "The three of us in a flat as close to the Eiffel Tower as they let people live!"

  "My parents would've killed me," Kai chuckled, cuddling a cushion closer to his chest. 

  "We wouldn't have gotten very far, Mads thought clothes and food was enough survive!"

  "What else do we really need, huh?"

  "Money?" Bluebelle suggested as Kai fell into a fit of giggles, "Train tickets, a plan, books— so much, Maddie!"

  Madeline waved her hand in dismissal, but Bluebelle caught it and stressed through laughter that when she became an adult she would need help packing. Madeline succame to the laughter as well, a mess of three drunken Ravenclaws on the common room sofa.

  It took an hour for them to tire themselves out, lulling the teenagers into sleep. Jumbled limbs and the faint stench of alcohol made up their night, but Madeline finally felt content. This was what life should be, and she was living it.

( AUTHOR'S NOTE. )
as much as I love blue, kai,
and maddie, you have to admit
sirius, remus, and mads are
an iconic trio