Chapter 4- Andre's Ice Cream

Nathaniel's POV~
Sitting at lunch with y/n, Chloe, Sabrina, Adrien and Nino was actually quite fun.

Get this: Chloe actually apologized for making fun of my drawings and stuff in the past. It was SOOOO weird! She really seemed to be different than the usually selfish, mean version of Chloe Bourgeois. She wasn't even swooning over Adrien the whole time, which surprised me. Y/n seemed to be very happy, and so I was happy too.

Eventually lunch was over and we all continued our day, but the atmosphere of Françoise Dupont High School was much different than normal. I felt more open and less shy, Chloe was being nice to us, and Marinette seemed pretty angry. It was kind of funny. It was almost as if we had all been hit by Reverser's paper airplanes.

After school was out, I told y/n I needed to do a quick errand before we went to the park. I found Andre's ice cream shop and waited in line to talk to him.

"Aha, what is your name, good young sir?" He asked me with a huge smile. I couldn't help but smile back.

"My name's Nathaniel. I was hoping to ask you a favor?" I asked.

"Why of course! But don't you want some ice cream? Best in Paris!" He laughed heartily.

"Of course, but not yet. I'm bringing... A friend... She's- well, she's a really good friend, and I wanted to let you know that we aren't exactly... a couple, yet, at least, so that there wouldn't be any awkwardness, since-" I stammered, rambling nervously.

"Oh, Nathaniel my dear friend! I understand completely." He said with a wink. "And I can tell that it is meant to be. I won't say it when she's here, but it'll be i/c/f for her h/c hair, and i/c/f for those sparkly e/c eyes of hers, won't it?" He asked, a gleam in his eye. My eyes widened. Those two ice cream flavors represented y/n exactly! I smiled slightly and nodded.

"Thanks, Andre! See you in a while!" I said, heading back toward her house to pick her up. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't awkward when we came for ice cream.

Your POV~
I heard a knock on my door. I quickly checked my reflection in the mirror.

"Pfft. Good enough." I muttered, leaving my bedroom.

"Y/n! Door!" My mom yelled.

"I'm going to hangout with a friend, bye Mom! I'll be back in a few hours!" I called to wherever she was.

"Kay! Text me later to check in! Have fun!" She called back. I opened the door to see Nathaniel standing awkwardly and smiling. I blushed automatically.

"Hey! That was a pretty quick errand, what'd you have to do?" I asked.

"Um, I just had to check where Andre's ice cream was so it'd be easier to find later. You know how he moves around, right?" He seemed nervous. Although, I was too. I let it go.

"Mmhm!" I nodded. We walked to the park and sat down on a bench. We talked about school, mostly about Chloe and Marinette, and how they both were changing. Chloe for better and Marinette for worse, who woulda thought?

Then as if conjured up by our conversation, Chloe and Sabrina appeared at the park. Chloe came over and said hi. I was still getting used to her being nice.

"I had another fantastic idea!" She started, her face bright. Sabrina nodded.

I chuckled. There were still parts of her old self in there. "What's that?" I asked.

"We should totally have like a big party at my house over the weekend and invite everyone!" She exclaimed. I widened my eyes.

"Everyone? Even like Marinette and Alya?!" I cried. That would NOT end well.

"Oh no, not them. Although... Adrien suggested it should be everyone, to not be exclusive. Thank God Lila's still on vacation or whatever. Maybe Marinette will be busy baking or something?" She shrugged. "Anyways, there's this game called Paranoia, where we all sit in a circle and-"

"-the person to your right whispers a question, and you have to answer out loud, then someone flips a coin or something and depending on which side it is you either have to say the question out loud or you get to stay silent!" Sabrina explained excitedly, interrupting Chloe. She spoke quickly, but Nathaniel and I understood.

"Ohh, so if we do invite Marinette and Alya maybe we can learn some more deets!" I agreed. Nathaniel looked skeptical. "What?" I asked.

"I don't know... I mean, it sounds fun, but there are a lot of rivalries in our classes. Which class would you be inviting everyone from?" He asked Chloe.

"English. There's more people." She stated plainly, like it was obvious.

"Okay. Well, I'll come if we play the game with like some rules about questions- like you can't ask questions with answers that would be super offensive. Things would get out of hand."

Chloe sighed. "Okay, fine tomato boy. Then it's a plan?!" She asked, suddenly perky. Sabrina grinned. She was pretty quiet, mostly nodding her head the whole time.

"Sure!" Nathaniel and I answered in unison. We laughed.

"You'd be a cute couple, actually. Just don't be so shy!!" She exclaimed, then flounced away with Sabrina. "See ya guys!" Sabrina called.

"Um, see ya...?" I managed, bright red. That was embarrassing. I peeked at Nathaniel through my h/c hair, and I could've sworn her was slightly smiling, but when I brushed the hair behind my ear he wasn't, he was just blushing.

"Awkward much?" He laughed. I remembered we were best friends, and my crushy-blushyness dissolved a bit. I laughed to, but yes, it was very awkward. Although in my head, I was thinking, we look like a cute couple?! Omg omg omg omg!!!

Nathaniel's POV~
A small joke is the best way out of an awkward situation, and it almost always works. I really couldn't tell how y/n felt about what Chloe just casually dropped, but I decided to make a move. Well, sort of.

"Want to go get that ice cream?" I suggested. She blushed for sure. I was a bit worried of what she thought but I kept going.

"S-sure!" She answered. We headed towards Andre's stand, and made small talk. There was a strange tension between me and y/n. Not bad, but I was a bit on edge.

Andre handed me the ice cream he described earlier with another wink, and scooped up raspberry red sherbert and a greenish bluish berry flavored ice cream for the second scoop that suspiciously looked like my eye color. We ate our ice cream on another bench. Y/n was deep in thought, thankfully not noticing Andre staring at us. I raised my eyebrows in a way that suggested he stop.

"This is good!" Y/n said, smiling at Andre, then me. My hear fluttered a bit when she looked at me. I felt myself blushing. Many more minutes went on like this, small quiet comments, smiling and blushing on both our parts, and then awkward silence. Eventually we left, thanking Andre.

"He was surprisingly quiet, don't you think?" Y/n asked.

"Huh, weird. I didnt really notice." I lied. I didn't want her to be suspicious of me, since I basically asked him not to talk much beforehand.

She shrugged it off. "You excited for the party thingy?" She asked.

"I'm not sure. Kind of, but I'm still a bit worried about like rivalries and stuff. It'll probably be fine though." I answered. We talked about the Paranoia game, and what weird things we might learn about people. We laughed, and soon came to her house.

"Bye, y/n. See you tomorrow!" I said, turning to leave. Suddenly, I felt her hug me from behind. I turned and hugged her back. It should've been awkward but it wasn't.

"Thanks Nathaniel. I had a lot of fun," she said into my shoulder.

"Yeah, it was. Thank you, too." I replied, smiling. She let go and waved goodbye. I waved back, and walked towards my house, barely containing myself. I was elated and felt like I could touch the stars! She hugged me! I smiled to myself again and replayed the afternoon in my head for the rest of the night.