Chapter 16

"Shit," Miroslav hissed. "What do you mean it wasn't the Columbian's?"

Shurik shrugged unhelpfully. "I asked them, threatened a few of them, contacted someone who knows a little bit about their inner workings... all of them said they didn't involve law enforcement to try and get back at us."

Miroslav huffed and tried to think of what else it really could be. Maybe it was just a vendetta from the force—after all, he had sent a follow up visit towards the detectives that had harassed Nico before. He would think they would get the message.

"Do you think we should back off some of our regular stuff?" Shurik questioned. "All it takes it one more person to get caught doing something illegal. Andrej doesn't even have real charges against him, just some fines. But they'll be watching for anything suspicious."

"Let me talk to Yakov. Still, make sure everything is done carefully. Only with those we really trust."

Shurik nodded and slunk out of the restaurant. Miroslav checked his watch again, groaning. Yakov's meeting was running long, but that was understandable. Meeting with one of their deepest connections within the infrastructure of the city's government called for that.

Miroslav had only met the man twice even—some weird bond that only existed between him and Yakov. He might not control the police force entirely, but he had enough sway to make certain things go away.

His phone rang, and Miroslav answered quickly without looking. "What's the news?" It applied to anyone that might call him.

There was a pause on the other line. "What? Miroslav?"

That voice was far too young and far too female to be anyone that Miroslav knew. He briefly checked the number and still didn't recognize it before he realized the only thing that made some sort of sense. "Amy?"

"Yeah," she answered hurriedly. "Look um, there's kind of a problem. Well, not kind of. I think Nico might have just gotten picked up by the police?"

"What?" Miroslav snapped. "At school? What happened?" It was the middle of the day, but if anything, they had been waiting for when Nico wouldn't be around Mirolsav or Yakov to do it.

"I don't know. We were just in class and the dean came in and pulled him out. When class was over I went to check in the office and there were like three cops, and their cars are still outside the school and everything. I don't really know what's going on though," Amy explained, muttering. "I mean technically they can't talk to him without a guardian or lawyer or something right?"

"Yes. Just—I'll be there soon." Miroslav snarled and hung up the phone long enough to call Yakov.

Yakov didn't answer, so Miroslav swore and left him a voicemail. "The police have Nico at his school. I'm going there now." He texted Yakov the same thing as well, just in case.

Despite the rush, Miroslav was frustrated he couldn't push it. He would not get pulled over on something stupid like speeding or making some sort of traffic violation. He got to the school and saw that the police cruisers Amy had been talking about were still there, so maybe they hadn't left yet.

Miroslav went in and for the office, ducking his head in. One of the cops turned to look, and nudged the other two when he saw Miroslav.

Miroslav straightened up. "Is there a problem?" he questioned, still not seeing Nico with them.

"We can't discuss anything with non-relatives," one of them answered casually, giving Miroslav a condescending look.

So then they thought they had something substantial. "Is he under arrest?" Miroslav continued, trying to watch for small ticks and queues that would give him a yes or a no. "Or does this have something to do with his custody status?"