It Happened at a Bar : jhs

Start from the beginning

And just when you thought he was going to move along, look away, join the others, he grinned at you. His dark eyes flashed and something about his smile was dangerous - yet so captivating. He was wearing a black leather band as a choker and the white T-shirt he had on under his leather jacket rode low on his shoulders, exposing his honey colored collar bones. He changed course, approaching you now instead of moving to join his friends. Your heart was racing and still you couldn't look away from him. Your brain screamed at your body to turn around in your stool, face the bar, look away, get up and leave but you couldn't, your gaze glued to him.

When he reached you he stopped, far too close for comfort, a smirk playing at his lips and making little dimples pop out around his mouth. It would almost be cute if it wasn't just a touch sinister.

"Hello," he said, his voice dark and smooth and captivating. You had fallen into his chocolate eyes and you couldn't seem to swim your way out, gazing back at him intently.

"Hi," you managed to choke out, your lungs burning. Had you forgotten to breathe? You swallowed heavily.

"Hope ah!" Called one of the men from the other end of the bar. You glanced over to see it was the gray haired one, a little frown wrinkling his eyebrows. He was both scary and almost cute the way his lips pouted as he spoke. "Are you coming?" He asked.

"No," the man in front of you replied, sparing his friend a glance. "I'm busy." He said this last part looking at you and you swallowed heavily.

"Your name is Hope?" You asked, your voice coming out smaller than you intended, the irony of it all bubbling beneath the surface as you gazed up at him.

"Sort of," he replied, smirking. "Dance with me," he said. It was wasn't phrased as a question, but you could feel that if you refused he would step away politely. Something about the tone of his voice when he said it had you standing quickly to your feet though, your soda long forgotten on the bar, your coworkers so far from your thoughts right now that if they had been calling your name you wouldn't have even noticed.

When you reached the dance floor the music changed almost as if in response to his presence to something sensual - possibly Latin - you couldn't focus on it enough to care. All you noticed was the way his body began to move to the melody, hitting every beat like he was strapped to it. His hand reached for you and you put yours in it, the tips of his fingers caressing your skin softly as he pulled you in, gathering you close to him. You could hardly remember those next moments, or how long you might have been dancing at all. All you could remember was your back pressed to his chest, your hips swirling with his to the music, his hands sliding on your waist, fingers gripping you tightly.

Something about his body felt off but you couldn't quite put your finger on it - couldn't quite make yourself care enough to figure it out - not when he moved so fluidly, so beautifully, like the music was for him alone. As song after song played you felt more and more comfortable pressed against him, felt his hands sliding over your body in places you might have otherwise been uncomfortable letting a stranger touch. You tipped your head back, resting it on his shoulder, your hair moving to expose your throat to him and you felt him nosing at the skin, one arm wrapped tight around your waist possessively.

Your heart was pounding, pulse throbbing in your veins and you wanted him - didn't want his touch to stop, wanted him to take you somewhere and tear you apart. It was a strange feeling, and not one you had experienced before. You never did this. Had never had any kind of encounter with someone on the same night you met them. And yet...you knew if he asked you right now you would say yes.

You shivered when you felt something wet and warm gliding over the expanse of your throat - his tongue. Something about the action went straight to your stomach and you whimpered, not loud enough to be heard over the music except he did hear, and it had him gripping your waist tighter, his fingers like iron, his mouth poised against your throat. You felt his lips part and then his teeth pressed against your neck - gently, like a soft caress. And suddenly everything clicked. The men's otherworldly beauty, the thing that had been off about their mouths, the way Hope's body felt odd against yours. He had no pulse, no heart beating against your back where his chest pressed to it.