THIRTY-TWO

A/N: i had to i'm sorry

The school looked different, but somehow beautiful. Everyone was a bit sceptical of having the formal in the courtyard but it looked absolutely amazing. String lights were strung from every post to the next, the white tables held beautiful candles and flowers and the large over hanging vines on the wall made for the most aesthetic formal photos I could've imagined. 

The whole experience felt like a fairy tale, well, apart from not having my prince by my side. Yet, I knew I'd enjoy the night either way.

I met Rosie soon after. She walked towards me in a stunning yellow dress. It held her curves well and accentuated every inch of her body. He hair was pulled back in a slick, long pony tail that I only could've imagined took hours to capture that much perfection.

"You look beautiful Rosie," I said, pulling her into my arms.

"As do you my queen."

We both giggled at out silliness. I noticed that Rosie didn't have a date and only imagined who she would've brought if she could've.

"Who dropped you?" I subtly asked.

"My mum," she sighed. "Things between Theo, Jesse and I are..."

"Complicated," I finished for her.

"I don't want to have to choose, I feel like i'm on an episode of the bachelorette."

"You don't have to choose," I offer.

"If only it were that easy," she sighed. "How have I had trouble landing one guy and now I have two falling at my feet?"

"Good thing you've had plenty of practice on your pillow."

She pushed me. We both started to calm down, both of us looking around at the beautiful decorations. I turned to Rosie, just as a slow, calm song started to play over head.

"May I have this dance?" I bowed. She giggled, taking my hand and I lead us out to the dance floor.

I placed my hands around her waist and he arms latched around my neck. We slow danced together, earning a few odd looks, but for the most part no one seemed bothered. I lifted my head to view the gorgeous stars. We were lucky enough that light pollution hadn't completely destroyed the beautiful night sky.

In the corner of my eye I noticed fiery red hair. 

Lilly had her stunning hair curled, a long green dress to match her eyes and highlight her pale skin. I caught her eye, he face blank as we stared at one another. There was a silent look in her eye that didn't bring me much joy. I looked away, noticing Rosie looking in the direction I just tore my eyes away from. 

"Do you think she's here tonight?" Rosie asked.

It was almost as if she had heard her, as Caylee appeared by Lilly's side in a purple dress. She looked stunning, but unrecognisable. She had dyed her hair brown, a similar colour to mine however just that smallest bit lighter. She wore dark purple lipstick and her lashes were long and luscious. She didn't look like the girl I used to know, or thought I did.

Her eyes landed on me, taking in my red dress. There was something evil hidden behind her eyes, she smiled darkly. Lilly herself looked uncomfortable standing next to her. Caylee's smile grew into a smirk before she walked away. I visibly shook, and felt Rosie do the same.

"That look..."

"I know," I mumbled.

Rosie and I danced for a little while longer, our carefree attitudes turning into a tense and on edge mood. We were preparing for the worst, Caylee's smile said she was definitely up to something tonight. None of us could have predicted of what was about to come.

My phone all of a sudden rang in the pocket of my dress. It took me a few moments to locate it under all the layers of my beautiful dress. Sebastian had sent me a message asking to meet him in the back car park, obviously having a romantic surprise up his sleeve.

A large smile took over my face, I started giggling like a school girl.

"Is your lover boy here?" Rosie asked, slightly smiling.

"Yeah," I smiled.

"Well what are you waiting for? Go see him!"

"Are you sure?" I asked. 

"Yes, yes. I can keep an eye on the devil and her posse you go live your fairy tale."

"You are the BEST!" I hugged her before scurrying off towards the back car park.

I hadn't even made it out of the courtyard before I was stopped. I was pulled back by the arm into someone I hardly expected. 

Jax stood in front of me in a white suit. He seemed slightly worried and his hair was messy, obviously from running his fingers through his hair.

"Maizie," his voice shook. "I want you back."

My jaw dropped. Why now of all times? Why did he even want me back? It was all so strange and my mind wouldn't stop swirling with thoughts. 

"I don't know if you've heard Jax, but I have a boyfriend," I spoke, trying to tug away from him.

He grasped my arm once more, a little bit harder and pulling me back. He learnt in close, much closer than I was comfortable with. "Don't go," he whispered into my ear.

I looked at him like a crazy person. What was he talking about? Me not leaving him or me not going to meet up with Sebastian.

My phone vibrated in my hand, Sebastian texting me to hurry up.

I yanked my arm away from Jax and quickly hurried away from him.

"Maizie! Wait!" His voice faded the further away I got from him

I made it to the back car park only to find it completely empty. My phone vibrated in my hands and I expected it to be Sebastian letting me know what was going on. Instead, it was Rosie.

Can't find Caylee anywhere!!!

The sound of something clicking echoed through the air. 

I turned to find Caylee with a gun against Sebastian's head.

"I don't want to be cliché but, if I can't have him then no one can."