Chapter Five

Jack Fenton stood in his lad staring at the portal thoughtfully. He just couldn't figure out why this thing didn't work. They'd tried everything. Maybe there was a loose plug? He began following the trail of extension cord end to end.

He was surprised to find the main cord unplugged. He could have sworn that it had been plugged in earlier. Shrugging, he plugged the cords back together. There was a great big flash behind him and he turned around startled. Electricity jolted around the machine as green sparks started to form within the portal. Soon the sparks turned into a giant green vortex residing within the circle. Jack's face lit up in awe as he realised the portal was working!

Running up the stairs excitedly, he didn't bother turning it off as he called out, "Maddie, Maddie! I fixed the portal!"

It was quiet as the portal illuminated the empty room. Suddenly sparks travelled across the glowing green surface and a man floated out of the portal.

"What's this? A portal to the human world? At last! I am free from the confines of the ghost zone. I shall now reek my reign of terror across the globe!" the ghost shouted eagerly, before fazing through the roof of the room.

A moment later Jack and Maddie Fenton came down the stairs to the lab.

"Oh my goodness! It's true! You really did fix the Fenton ghost portal!" Maddie cried, happily hugging her husband. Jack smiled proudly.

"Of course I did, baby! I'm Jack Fenton, greatest ghost hunter ever!" he cried confidently.

Maddie kissed him on the cheek, smiling at him fondly.

"Can you imagine the possibilities? We now have a direct link to the ghost zone. Think of all the research we could do!" Maddie cried excitedly.

"Yeah! Let's go in there and hunt some ghosts!" Jack cried, heading towards the portal eagerly.

"Now Jack. You know we can't just go barging in there without any idea of the risks," Maddie warned.

"Awww but I wanted to catch some ghosts," Jack pouted sounding like a disappointed child.

Maddie knew a way to instantly make Jack happy and hastily produced a tub of her emergency fudge from her purse.

"Yay! Fudge!" Jack cried happily, gulping down the contents of the container.
---
Meanwhile Danny sat unhappily in detention.

"Don't be so down, Danny," Sam whispered beside him. Lancer sat at his desk reading a novel quietly.

"Why would I not be? I'm turning into a freak and because of it I'm in detention for the first time ever," he grumbled softly. Worst of all he was stuck in detention with none other than Dash Baxter.

The bully continued to flick paper footballs at him and he frowned angrily turning his back to the bully. Sam gave a shocked look at him and he gave her a questioning look.

'What?' he asked curiously. She blinked slowly a few times and shook her head as if to clear it.

"Nothing...I just thought I saw your eyes glow green for a second. Must have been a trick of the light or something," Sam murmured uncertainly, glancing at Danny for a long time before turning away.

"Alright delinquents. I'm going to get some tests I need to grade from my staffroom. I don't want any of you to move while I'm gone. Understand?" Lancer informed, glaring at them. They nodded and with a long warning stare he left the room. As soon as the teacher was out the students began talking among themselves casually.

"Hey Fentonio!" Dash called from across the room, "I thought you were a goody-goody. Why's a geek like you in detention?"

Danny wasn't in the mood for Dash right now. He gave an exasperated sigh.

"None of your business Dash!" Danny snapped back, surprising himself at his confidence.

He never stood up to Dash. He wondered what had come over him.

"Don't talk to me like that, you dweeb!" Dash said, standing angrily from his seat. He marched over to Danny grabbing him by the collar. Dash held him off the ground and Danny cringed, waiting for the oncoming blow. Sam jumped up in panic, not sure what to do.

" I think you need a little time to think about respect in your locker!" Dash said with a grin as he dragged Danny out into the hallway.

"Wait! We're not supposed to leave the room," Danny objected . Dash gave a sly grin.

"Which is why Lancers going to be furious when he finds out you ditched detention," Dash explained.

Danny was about to struggle when suddenly he gave a shiver and saw his breath. Why was it so cold? he wondered. Dash didn't seem to notice as he stuffed Danny into his locker. Danny didn't fight, still wondering about the strange cold moment before.

Dash made his way back to detention satisfied, not noticing Sam had followed them. Sam jumped out from behind her hiding place in the corner and headed to the locker quickly. She opened it surprised to find it empty. Where was Danny? she thought in confusion.

Suddenly beside her, Danny stepped out from the lockers as if they were air.

"Danny!" she cried in relief. He was looking down at himself in wonder.

"Now that's going to take some getting used to," he muttered turning himself solid again.

"What's wrong Danny?" Sam asked noticing the concern on his face.

"I don't know. I had this weird moment of cold on my way here. I think I should check it out," he replied uncertainly. He began walking back the way he came and Sam followed him curiously.

As they were about to pass the store room Danny suddenly stopped in surprise as his breath suddenly became visible. That's odd, Sam thought, it's nowhere near cold enough to see our breath. Even if it was, hers wasn't showing. He turned his head towards the store room curiously. They both edged their way towards the door and he hesitantly opened it.

They both gasped in surprise at what they saw. There in the middle of the room was a chubby ghost in blue overalls and a beanie. There were boxes floating around the room as if by the ghost's control.

At the sound of their entrance, the ghost turned towards them.

"I am the Box Ghost, master of all things cardboard and square! I will now use all the boxes from this conveniently stocked room full of boxes to take over the world. Beware!"