Chapter 2- Edited

I look both ways before I go to cross the street. We leave for Greece in tomorrow. I'm really nervous about flying for that long. I mean I've flown before but never for almost 12 hours. Being off the ground for that long, scares me just a little tiny HUGE amount. I don't think that Jenny could be any more excited than she already is. She's practically been jumping off the walls for the last month as our departure date has drawn closer.

I am excited but still very nervous about leaving the country. That's something that I have never done before, and doing it without my parents scares me to death. I have been packing things for the trip, because we are leaving in just a couple of days.

"Amara?" I pause at my mother's voice. "Can you come down here sweetheart?" I pause in my packing and walk down the stairs to where she is waiting.

"Is everything okay Mom?"

"Yes, I just wanted to give you something. Now I know that you are going to be in Greece during your birthday, and so I wanted to give you your birthday present a little bit early." She hands me beautifully wrapped box. "Here. Open it." Quickly I rip into the wrapping.

"Wow Mom it's beautiful. Thank you so much Mom. I love it." My mother chuckles, as I turn the wooden box over in my hands.

"You have no idea what it is do you?"

"Not a clue." Mom smiles.

"I didn't either when my mom gave it to me. Not until she explained it to me at least. It's called a memory box. Supposedly it holds the memories of our previous selves. But I don't think that that is entirely accurate."

"What do you think it is Mother?"

"I think that it holds the key to our true love."

"I'm a little bit confused."

"I was too." She smiles sadly. "And then this box led me to your father. Did I ever tell you how we met?" I shake my head. "I was visiting England. Now my mother had made me swear to take this box everywhere. So naturally, I had the box with me. On my way back to my hotel I was mugged. The man stole the box thinking it contained something valuable. Well, a man came along and scared the mugger away, and he dropped the box. That man was your father. That's how we met."

"I can't believe that you never told me any of this. So, what is inside the box?"

"You know it's actually locked; I never did find out what was inside it. And when your grandma died, she told me that it has been in our family locked for generations. No one has the key. Supposedly whoever the box is meant for can open it."

"Well, who knows maybe I will find the key or at least find a way to unlock it." Mother smiles

"As long as you tell me what's inside it." I smile "Oh and before I forget, here just so you get something other than a box you can't even open." She says as she hands me another bag. Giggling I pull out the tissue paper. It's a beautiful dress, white with small blue flowers around the hem and on the edges of the sleeves.

"Oh, Mom it's gorgeous. I love it."

"Good now promise me that you won't go running off with some boy from Greece." I laugh loudly at that thought, before I realize that she was only half kidding.

"Okay yeah, I promise, I won't do anything stupid. Is that satisfactory?" My mother nods triumphantly. "Now I have some more packing to do."

"Don't forget your medicine."

"I know, Mom. I won't. I just packed it." She nods and walks back down stairs.

I close the door to my room. I pack the dress in my suitcase, and then look at the box. I wonder what's inside it. It looks extremely old. It looks like it's been in our family for a very long time. Me being the very curious person that I am decided to look it up on the internet. Boxes, old boxes, locked vintage boxes, with a crown on top and a rose on the sides. Still nothing. Man, this thing must be really old if not even the internet can find anything on it. I take a pause from my computer and stare at the box.

"What are you? What secret are you hiding? Why won't you open?" Then I glance at the clock. Wow, I should really get some sleep. With one last look at the box, I close my eyes to sleep.

'Amara, my love, you're finally here. I cannot wait to find you, my love.' I look around searching the emptiness. I hate this dream; I am always half terrified that some creepy man is out to get me. And then I am completely terrified that I won't find the man that is calling me.

'Who are you? Where are you?' I freeze when I feel a hand on my cheek.

'Oh, my darling love, you never have anything to fear from me. Look at me.' I look up in the direction I think the voice is coming from. Then I see him. Tall, strong, his eyes hold more passion and love than I thought was possible for one person. 'I have been waiting for you my love, My Queen.'

'Who are you? I'm dreaming I have to be dreaming.'

'You are dreaming, for now. Worry not my love. Soon you will know me. I will never harm you, and I will always protect you, My Queen. We will be together soon. I swear my love.'

I wake gasping. It's morning. The morning, we leave for Greece. I slowly sit. I reach for my phone when I notice something. The box, the box that has been impossible to open for generations, is sitting at the end of my bed with the lid opened.