v. Mia, Mia, Mia!

Start from the beginning

       So, on the last day of the summer holidays, Mia finds Emilia, and asks, "Can you take me home, maybe, so I can get a couple things?"

       She ends up having to explain she specifically wants to get her sketchbook, but Emilia agrees, deciding that if they aren't too long it shouldn't be much of a danger anyway. The main reason their home is a slight threat to their safety is if the muggle postman looks in the living room window and sees escaped murderer Sirius Black sitting on the sofa eating a slice of toast. For Mia and Emilia, it's not exactly a danger — like, the Death Eaters are cool with them now, from what Mia's gathered, so they won't go searching for them.

       Mia walks down the stairs, this time in jeans and a lemon-yellow cardigan, a black lacey cami underneath. The heatwave's starting to cool down now, with the UK returning to it's usual light-grey skies and crisp breezes. Mia's indifferent to the weather — every climate has it's positives — but it is nice, being able to wear wool again.

       Emilia's kissed on the cheek by Sirius. Gross, Mia thinks, as her mum says something to her dad about how they'll be fine, and all that — they'll be there for an hour, tops, what's the worst that's going to happen? A spider jumps out, because they haven't been there to clean up the cobwebs? Please.

       "We shouldn't be too long, Molly," says Emilia, with a soft smile. "We'll be back for dinner, for definite."

       Mrs Weasley nods, an old kitchen towel — one Mia presumes has been taken from the Weasleys' house, wherever they live — in her hands, wiping the soapy suds off of her fingers. Emilia puts her hand on Mia's arm, and as they Apparate, Mia closes her eyes. She doesn't like Apparating. She's a little annoyed her dad gave his motorbike to Hagrid because that seems a lot cooler, doesn't it? A flying Harley Davidson. Fucking sick.

       They arrive outside of their house, and even before she opens her eyes, she can tell she's at home. She can feel the bark underneath her feet, that makes up the walkway to the house, hidden past the big gate and the trees. They live near-ish to a muggle town, but you wouldn't realise, the house is so hidden away. Mia loves it.

       She loves London, don't get her wrong, but she loves the house her mum bought after everything, from the yellow paint covering the outside, to the kitchen doorframe with Mia's heights marked... They have her parents' heights on there, too, but they had to cover up the one of Sirius' height in his Animagus form, in case the Aurors noticed it.

       Mia remembers how they had searched their house, when he first escaped. She remembers sitting on the stairs, feeling incredibly uncomfortable, as her mum tried to reason with the Ministry officials. She remembers watching her mum follow one Auror called Dawlish, as he walked from the kitchen through the hallway to the living room, straight past Mia. He had shaken his head when Emilia told him, "I promise he hasn't been anywhere near this house in years..."

       "You told us that you thought he was innocent, correct?" the Auror had asked, and Mia knows he's referring to the interview Emilia did when Sirius first left. And Emilia had sighed and said that had nothing to do with it, but don't worry, things got worse.

       They brought up her mum's family.

       "Salvatore, wasn't it? As in Capulet?"

       They brought up the night they died.

       "Wasn't it your magic that burned the house down?"

       They brought up the magic Mia and Emilia both have.

       "I cannot imagine that — a family so terrible they corrupted your very ability to use magic..."