xxv. Most Noble

twenty five most noble

BUT THAT WASN'T THE END — no, the end is when she has the heads of Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucius Malfoy, and Peter Pettigrew (Harry told her what happened in the graveyard) on a spike. The end is a long slog, an extra two years of Mia bitterly waiting for the day she can avenge her parents and Cedric. She sneaks out on weekends to meet Remus Lupin, to get better at her defensive magic. She becomes a better student, a better witch, to prepare herself for when this all erupts.

And that time is coming.

27 JULY 1997

          Mia stands in the kitchen at the Burrow, a crisp summer breeze floating through the house. She sits next to Ginny and Mrs Weasley; everyone else has gone to collect Harry, in an Order mission dubbed 'The Battle of Seven Potters.' Mia's magic is still deemed unpredictable — namely, they think if she gets panicked, someone will catch into flames — so she isn't allowed to go. Instead, she sits and waits, worrying about her friends.

          Briar returns to the room. She wasn't allowed to join in, either — they were worried she'd have a vision mid-flight, and if Death Eaters were around, they'd know it was her. She sits next to Mia, handing her an ice cream from the freezer.

          "How's it hanging?" says Briar, nudging Mia's shoulder.

          Mia raises an eyebrow. "What are you so perky about?"

          "The fact my fiancé is going to die," says Briar, and she laughs in such a way she believes herself.

          That's the other thing, dear reader: Briar and Fred got engaged the summer before, causing the biggest argument known to the Burrow. Mia and George had broken up by that point, so Mia only heard of the event through word of mouth, like a sighting of the Loch Ness Monster whispered amongst villagers centuries later. Apparently, Mrs Weasley threatened to kill Fred, who had to hide at the joke shop for two weeks before she calmed down — the calming down, though, was a result of an even more catastrophic event: Bill Weasley proposing to a French woman, better known as Fleur Delacour, Briar's best friend and Beauxbatons' Triwizard champion.