Chapter Three

Bahrell peered down at the underlings still shrouded in human likenesses.  The future all herded together; undeveloped, waiting.  Senses heightened, Kao wondered, what would become of them? His thoughts interrupted by a gruff voice.

“Here is where you will learn, grow, spar; the weak to quickly be destroyed by the strong.”  Bahrell called down into the literal pit of hell now housing the “would be” warriors. “True forms and undeniable gifts will be revealed for those who survive.” He explained.

The elders gathered around the mouth of the pit evaluating the new talent soon to join their clans.  They seemed small, either by illusion of the depth of the pit or the actual stature of the young demons.  It was more likely due to their lack of strengthening from inciting human destruction, but they were drinking in the goings on.  Growing restless in the small space; tension brewed all around them.  Undoubtedly a fight to the death was on the horizon. 

“Those standing beside you are not friends.  This is not some trivial trust exercise.  Only trust your orders.” Bahrell imparted; the future of his lords’ vision at stake. 

Kao stood anxious at the base of the pit now blanketed with hundreds of restless bodies generating the heat of damnation.  With them he was unconcerned.  He looked left then right to Garro and Mirena.  Familiar, unsure why, but knowing that it didn’t matter now.    

The rise and fall of Bahrell’s voice washed over the crowd, pulling, churning and calling the darkness out of neophytes and elders alike.  They all hung on to his every word, newlings awaiting the command releasing them to find out who and what they were.  The newlings were prepared to fight to unearth the special attribute that kept them from the Forever’s, and an eternity of turmoil, but was valuable enough to allow them an existence even if it was in the army of the Unknowns. 

 “Once your spawning mission is shown, you will be released to your clan.  With your clan you will hunt, fight and destroy.  Fraternizing with other clans is the end of you!  Make no mistake; your clan is your clan.  You belong to it, it belongs to you.”  Bahrell warned.  “And never forget --YOU ARE NOT HUMAN!  You are better than them!  You will outlast them!  You WILL destroy them!” His words ignited a call and response of clan war cries from the observing elders and put the underlings on alert.

 “Come Forth!”  Bahrell commanded; his voice, his power, his gift causing several cavern doors around the pit to dissipate.  The howls and shrieks poured from the hollow openings erupting into the pit as a fierce battle cry.  The rumbles bounced off of the floor and walls causing them to shake as the something or something’s charging drew near. 

 Ultimately, this was a trust exercise.  A test faced by each of the underlings to trust their unknown skills.  And at its end, all would see just why these prospects had been claimed by the depths of the Unknowns.

****************************************************************************************************

Don't forget to vote, share your feedback/suggestions in the comments and subscribe to http://www.twcolvin.com/