Chapter Six

We get to school and a cluster of girls surrounds Cameron. One tall blonde girl grabs his hand. She's about an inch shorter than Cameron. She has bright blue eyes and her bleach blonde hair curled. She wears black 'too-skinny' jeans and a red lace half shirt over a black tank. Her shoes are black high heels which explains why she's so tall.

"Who's this?" She smirks while putting a long red fingernail to me.

"This is Maddie. She's my moms, best friends, daughter. She's staying with us while her parents are on business trips." He says calmly and realistically. "Oh and Maddie, this is my, uh, girlfriend, Taylor." He rolls his eyes when he says girlfriend. Unless I'm imagining it.

"Nice to meet you" I say as I put my hand out for her to shake it.

She smiles a fake smile then flips her hair in my face as she turns around dragging Cameron behind her. The cluster of girls follow them. I stand alone confused and useless. Finally a girl stops beside me concerned.

"You look lost. Are you new?" she asks. Her green eyes are very round and her shoulder length blonde hair is pushed out of her face by a headband. She wears a minimal amount of makeup that she doesn't even need. Also, she wears a 'Pink' tee shirt and leggings. She wears silver glittery moccasins.

"Yeah. I'm lost. Do you have any idea where room 48 West is?"

"Yeah! I'm actually going there too."

"Thanks" I smile. We walk through the crowded hallways. They look completely different with so many people in them. I locate my locker on the way. I stop there to get my stuff I had put in the day before.

"I'm Claire by the way." Says The girl.

"I'm Maddie" I close my locker and she proceeds showing me to the classroom.

"Here it is. Mr. Jacque" She says.

We open the door to the classroom. A tall, bald man in a grey suit is pointing to a screen with a pointer. His glasses rest upon his nose like it's the only thing holding them up.

"You're late." He says sternly.

"I... I was helping a new student." Says Claire.

"Ah. I see." Says the teacher. "Sit down Cassie!" He yells.

"It's... Clai..." She stops. Rethinks her answer. Then sits down.

"And you are?" Mr. Jacque asks me.

"Madelyn... Or Maddie."

"Nice to meet you." He says in the nicest voice he had talked since I had met him. "Now sit down!"

I sit down in an empty chair in the back of the room. The day drags on and on. Finally it's lunch. I sit by Claire at a round table. We set our lunch of a Turkey Sandwich, Mac-n-cheese, and green beans on the table in sync. We start eating silently. The rest of lunch was silent until I felt a tap on my back. I turned around to see Cameron smiling at me.

"Hey" I say smiling back at him. Claire's mouth drops open.

"How's school going?" He asks

"Pretty good"

"Great. See you later." He winks before walking away.

"What was... that?" Exclaims Claire once Cameron walks away.

"He's... uh... His mom is my parents best friend and he's watching me while my parents are away on business trips." I hope that sounded believable.

"What?" Her eyes widen. "He's the most popular guy in school. Every girl has a crush on him and he's the captain of the football team." She says quickly.

"Wow." I say quietly. No wonder all the girls crowd around him.

"Yeah. So right now your pretty much the luckiest girl in school. Well, besides Taylor."

"Yeah... What's she like?" I ask.

All I get in response is an eye roll. Suddenly I hear the bell signaling that lunch is over. I get up to throw my food away.

When I pass the table Taylor sits at I see her smirk at me. Before I know it she trips me and I'm covered in my lunch that I didn't eat.