Chapter Fifteen

I wake up in the morning to the sound of my alarm, like usual.

After cooking last night, I need to shower to get the smell of garlic and other spices off of me.

When I get out, I straighten my hair, brush my teeth, and put on some makeup. I throw on light wash skinny jeans and a maroon varsity cardigan over a white t-shirt.

I grab my bag and head downstairs. Gina is already at work and Cameron has football practice like he told me he would. I grab a granola bar to eat on the bus and pack some leftover pasta for lunch.

I run out to catch the bus right when it reaches my stop. I get on and sit next to Lucas.

"Hey!" He says.

"Hi" I smile back at him. He's wearing a red t-shirt and I never realized how fit he actually is.

Oh god, I am not developing a crush here. I don't even know how long I'm staying here and I'm not in the mood to deal with feelings.

He pulls out his phone and starts texting on it. I decide to take my phone out.

"Hey, I didn't know you had a phone." He says pointing at it.

I laugh. "Yeah, it's new. I didn't have one before Friday night."

"Oh." He says quietly. "Do you have a Twitter?" He asks almost eagerly.

"Um, No." I say confused. I have no idea what a Twitter is but I know I've heard at least five people talk about it at school.

"Well you need to make a Twitter. I'll help you."

"Wait, what's a Twitter?" I ask. It's super embarrassing being clueless.

"Social Media." He says casually. Woah, he took that better than I expected.

"Wait? How do you not know what a Twitter is?" He asks stunned. I thought too soon.

"Eh, I don't know." I say and shrug. "Well, I just got a phone." I hope he can't see through my act. I'm actually a horrible actress and I shouldn't be lying at all because I always get caught.

"True" He fidgets with the phone for a few minutes then hands it to me.

"What do you want your username to be?" He asks.

"Um, Maddie123 maybe?" I say, more like a question. I know most people use their first and last name as their username but, my last name doesn't, well doesn't really work for me anymore.

"That's taken. What other numbers do you like?"

"Try Maddie00" I say.

"Okay, you have a Twitter." He says. "You're also following me. And you have my number" He winks at me.

I laugh "Thanks" Does he like me? Wait, why do I even care? I clench down my teeth to stop my thoughts.

We get off the bus and walk to our classes. I sit bored in class all day until lunch finally comes. I sit by Claire like always.

"Hey" I say pulling out my phone. "You have a phone?" She asks.

"Uh, yeah. And a twitter I guess."

"Why don't I have your number?" She asks excitedly. Wow what's with these people and their phones?

I hand her my phone and she programs her number in it. She also follows herself on Twitter. She clicks on someone else's profile and scrolls through it.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

She shows me the phone in response. It's opened up on Cameron's page. I see a few pictures of us together in Chicago.

The caption says, "Amazing day with an amazing girl;)"

I smile to myself and butterflies fill my stomach. I'm thinking about him when I'm interrupted by a yelling in the cafeteria.

"Attention everyone!" A voice announces. It's Taylor's. "I have something to tell everyone!" She yells in a cheery voice.

Cameron runs over to me. "Let's get out of here." He says and grabs my hand.

"What's going on?" I ask, very confused.

He just tugs me more.

"I think everyone will want to hear this." Taylor says. I can see her eyes narrow on Cameron and I as she says it. "I'm sure you all know Cameron Dallas, Captain of the football team?" She says with a smirk.

Cameron let's go of my hand and runs out of the cafeteria. I don't know why, but I don't follow him.

"Well, you don't know that the only reason he's on the football team was because his dad was the coach. His dad chose him when he shouldn't have even made the team."

People roll they're eyes and return to what they were doing.

"Liar!" Someone yells out. "Yeah, he's really good!" Another voice agrees. Then many voices agree in unison. I smile to myself knowing that Taylor can't trick these people, well at least when talking about Cameron.

"Oh yeah?" Taylor threatens. "Well, His dad left his family after his sister died in a car crash that Cameron caused." She smiles as everyone's jaws drop.

I run out of the cafeteria crying. I run to the house but no one is there. I call Cameron but he doesn't answer.

I have no idea where Cameron would be. I throw my backpack down by the front door and decide to look in Cameron's room for clues to where he could be.

It's a little bit weird going into Cameron's room and looking through his stuff without him.

I do it only because I need to find him. I have no idea of what he's doing and I don't want him to do anything bad. I don't find much in his desk besides some homework, note pads, a few pictures of him and friends, and some gum. I look under his bed and find a brown cardboard box. I open it and find a few posters, a picture of him and a man, who I assume is his dad, and a digital camera. I turn the camera on and find a few pictures of the lake and skyscrapers, and then I find what I think I need.

It's a picture of a large motor boat parked on the lake. Cameron stands in it with the same man who I assumed was his dad while holding keys and wearing a sailors hat.

I look up the navy blue words painted on the white boat and find where it's parked. I grab a plastic bag and fill it up with some of Cameron's favorite foods and run out the door.