Rosie

Hi, my name's Rosie and I'm 19 years old. I live in London but I used to live in Ontario, Canada. Oh and I forgot to mention, Shawn Mendes used to be my next door neighbour. Shawn and I, we were inseparable, we were best friends. But that was 5 years ago. Today I'm going to see Shawn for the first time in 5 years and I'm really excited but nervous too, what if he doesn't remember me? Wait, why would he have to remember me, it's not like he'll see me or anything. I love Shawn's music, I always have done from the moment he first picked up a guitar. My best friend Alice booked us tickets to go and see him on tour in Birmingham for my birthday. I contemplated messaging Shawn to tell him but realised that he had probably changed his number. For tonight I was just going to enjoy myself.

At 9am Alice walks into my bedroom with a suitcase full of make-up and clothes. This is typical Alice she loves getting dressed up for events like this. "You do know it's only a concert, right?" I question while laughing at her. She laughs back and answers. "Well, you never know, he might notice you and you could get talking" . A long with pretty much every other teenage girl on this planet, I have a crush on Shawn, but I know it's never going to happen so I laugh back in response. Almost 2 hours later and we're ready. I'm wearing black skinny jeans, a red cropped top and my white Fila disruptors (or as my brother likes to call them 'dinosaur stompers'). Alice couldn't be more different with her short summer dress and ballet pumps, she looks amazing. After taking too many pictures, we're ready to go. Alice can't drive yet so we hop into my mini cooper and leave.

The whole car journey we listen to Shawn's songs, I missed his voice more than I thought I would. It takes us ages to get there considering I don't like driving on motorways so we take the backroads. when we finally arrive at 3pm we decide to look around and do some shopping before heading to the arena. The process went quickly and soon enough we were stood in the stalls to the left hand side of the stage. In just under an hour my childhood bestie will be stood on that stages singing to his adoring fans. 

The concert starts with Lost in Japan and I'm already losing my voice from singing at the top of my lungs. There's Nothing Holding Me Back is next and halfway through the song, Shawn looks at me. My heart almost leaves my chest but I realise he probably can't even see me due to the blinding lights. He turns around and whispers something to his bandmates before looking back at me and grinning like Cheshire Cat. Alice turns to give me that look as if to say I told you so but I just shrug it off. There's no point getting my hopes up. The concert is about to end when I feel someone tapping on my shoulder. I look up to say Jake - Shawn's security guard. "Can you stay for a bit after the show?" I can barely hear him over Shawn's voice . I nod in reply before singing my heart out to In My Blood. The concert ended but as everyone else was leaving Rosie and I stayed. Jake took me and Alice backstage and into a small room and there he was. He was sat on a grey corner sofa but stood up to greet us as soon as we walked in. He engulfed me in a hug and I could smell his familiar aftershave. Who knew after 5 years he would still wear the same one? We spoke for hours before I realised the time. "Shawn, I should probably be getting home" . He gave me a sad smile, "Your mum" he questioned. I forgot he knew so much about me. My mum hates it when I stay out late but I'm with Alice and given the situation I'm sure she'll understand. "Hey, you know what, it's fine. I'll call her and explain " . He gives me a happy smile in response. I haven't seen Shawn in ages and I don't know when I'll get to see him again.  I look at Alice, realising I haven't even asked her if that's ok. "You're ok with staying in a hotel here aren't you?" 

" Yeah of course " She smiles back. Shawn looks at me with a huge grin on his face. "Um why don't you two stay with me?" I try to come up with an excuse to say no but I fail. Guess we're staying with Shawn tonight. We continue talking for another couple of hours until Alice decides to call a taxi due to an art project she has due. "We should probably go too" Shawn looks at me with a smile and leads me out the arena.