Chapter 6

Sterling lived in a charming little, Spanish inspired white bungalow with an orange slate roof, the type which seemed just perfect and cozy for two. The main section of the house was accessed through a cute little courtyard behind a stone arch. The courtyard was a garden with a variety of colorful flowers, a stone bench nestled in the middle, with a view of the bird bath. A hammock swayed in the breeze. Leila’s imagination got the best of her imaging herself tucked against Sterling on a balmy night like this one, gazing at the stars. And perhaps both of them wearing nothing but sweat.

Sterling eyed Leila as she took in his home and garden. She was surprised a bachelor pad had such a well-kept garden. Not surprised the lawn and home itself appeared well maintained and taken care of. Just like the owner himself.

“I don’t have a green thumb. This is all my mother Lucille’s doing,” explained Sterling with a grin. “I tend to kill plants. And small animals unfortunately. Not intentionally, but my childhood pets often had short life spans. Mother has been telling me for a while now to get a guard dog but I don’t want to see if the Mount curse is still alive and well.”

Sterling pulled a spare key from underneath a potted plant near the front door. Leila watched his ass as he bent over. She thought about suggesting boxer briefs that would curve deliciously around his backside. But still the view was nice. And now wasn’t the time for horny banter.

“I’m sure that’s not true. Just some bad luck. But it’s very pretty here. I could just sit out here all night looking at the stars and listening to the crickets,” said Leila dreamily.

Sterling unlocked the door and held it open to Leila like a true gentleman.

“Ladies first. But you could stay out here if you prefer. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable Miss Leila. Zenia should be along any minute now. If you would like to go home now, I understand. It’s been a long day.”

Leila was more concerned about Sterling’s welfare if the two of them were left unsupervised, rather than vice versa. She gave him a smile and walked inside.

“I’m a big girl. You’re the one who should be worried,” she said.

He laughed. It sounded so good, Leila wished she could bottle the noise and keep it tucked away. For the bad days. And she had had plenty of those. Now days post pack, she called them “Remembrance Days” when bad memories were triggered and she fell into deep and dark places that were hard to pull herself from.

Those days usually involved greasy foods and alcohol. And occasionally sex. Though she had vowed no more men for the past three months now. Not since that unfortunate incident two jobs back with the owner of the restaurant she made the mistake of hooking up with two times, and things got ugly. Namely when she found out he had a wife, and when she refused to fuck him afterwards, he tried to force himself on her. She got a bloodied lip and ripped panties, but he lost a testicle when she ruptured it with her knee, and then broke his nose. She left town immediately after, but read about an assault later in the paper. He had claimed he was assaulted during a robbery gone bad. She felt no remorse.

Sterling didn’t seem the type to try and force himself on any one. But neither had that man at first either. At least she knew Sterling wasn’t married because of the small town where everyone knew everyone’s life stories. Secrets were like snow here in Stillwater Florida, so rare and fleeting, they were like fairytales rather than real life. And well, with his looks and personality, Sterling could have a different willing woman every night of the week. It wasn’t lost on Leila the way the woman inside his bar looked at him. They wanted him inside them. Not that she could blame them, though she could no longer pretend she didn’t give a damn.