Chapter: 3 Welcome to the First Cavarly

0600
Felix's point of view.
As I sat at my desk I listened to the sounds around me. The monotonous sound of the wall clock ticking away as time goes by. The sound of typewriters clacking away every so often I hear a loud Ping, reminiscent of an old M1 Garand. My ears twitch. I hear the loud sound of paratrooper boots walking towards me. "Lieutenant?" Lieutenant Colonial Moore says to me. "Yes, sir?" I say to him fixing the collar of my Og 107 uniform, crisp from being freshly starched. He looked at me with heavy eyes. "You're being reassigned, we need to show the people that we are acceptant of all people for combat roles." He says handing me a folder of papers, a new set of patches and pins. "Welcome to the First Cav, Lieutenant" LtCol Moore says to me. "A-Aye Sir, I'll pack my things effective immediately," I say as I nervously pack my things. I didn't understand why this was happening. I know that I had gotten basic training like most other soldiers with a combat role, but I didn't receive a combat MOS like other soldiers. I was assigned to a Mos that is special to my people. I don't look like other soldiers as well. I'm very thin and feminine. "Sir I don't think I'm cut out for a combat role..." I said while nervously reading my assignment documents. I was to be assigned to the 1'st Cavalry 7'th Cav Pir. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to talk my way out of this. "Nonsense, besides. We don't really have a choice in the matter. We need soldiers, and you passed basic, so you're fit for a combat role. Follow me you are going to get outfitted and sent out to your new unit." He says as he motions for me to remove my utility shirt as he hands me a new one with my new patches on. I nervously follow and unbutton and remove my shirt exposing my green undershirt. I quickly throw on the new one and tuck it in, as he waves a hand for me to walk out of the building, he walks me out towards the helipads. A Willy's jeep awaits me with a duffle bag inside and an Xm-177 rifle. "Well, Lieutenant Mickenney Have fun in Nam." He says to me as I let out a nervous shudder and put on my Od green baseball cap. "Have fun in 'Nam...sure," I say mocking the cocky superior officer.

The Stories We ToldOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara