The nurse was busily making toast for all three of us while Cassie sat on the couch watching “Supernatural.”

                “Good show choice,” I said as I sat down next to her. “Thanks,” she paused, “if you’re sick,” she started to say. “Don’t worry I’m not sick, I just ate something bad,” I assured her. Cassie moved a piece of brown hair behind her ear, her green eyes scanned me before she paid attention to the TV once again.

                “Jessie do you need any help?” I asked. “No but I need to speak with you really quick,” she said. We went into my small bedroom and sat on the bed.

“What is it?” I asked. Jessie sighed then started, “I’m a nurse so I know a lot about sickness and medical stuff.” I nodded, “yes.” “So I know what I’m saying when I’m about to tell you what’s wrong.” “You can save yourself the trouble, I already know what it is,” I spat out disgusted at myself. “So you took a pregnancy test?” she asked quietly. I pointed to the trash can where there sat the object that determined whether or not I would be able to live the life I wanted or have a child pin me down for the rest of my life.

                “Congratulations,” Jessie mumbled. She knew as well as I did that I didn’t want any children. I was never good with them, in fact even Cassie didn’t like me when she was younger, now she’s older and I can talk to her more.

                “What do I do?” I asked. There was no emotion in my voice, just monotone and dead. “I’m a nurse, not a counselor but if I were in your shoes I would tell Brian. He deserves to know.”

                I knew that telling Brian was the right thing to do but I also knew that he wasn’t going to do anything about it, he didn’t want anything to do with me. “Do you want to invite him over and tell him with us here, or do you want Cassie and I to leave?” Jessie asked. “No, Brian’s a douchebag, I don’t want Cassie or you to have to come face to face with my mistake.” Jessie nodded, “well you go ahead and call him, tell him to come over and Cassie and I will eat then leave so you guys can talk about what y’all are going to do.”

                Cassie, Jessie, and I ate together and talked before they left me to call Brian. From the gentle hug Cassie gave me I knew she had been listening outside my bedroom door to me and Jessie talk, she knew. “Don’t mention it to anyone,” I whispered in her ear before ruffling her hair. She looked up at me and smiled, “good luck Aunt Blake.”

                I sat on the couch, my phone in my hand. I decided I would call Jimmy first to ask him how to really talk to Brian without setting him off. I held the phone up to my ear then realized how stupid I would sound if I asked Jimmy that, plus Brian was going to be angry that I was trying to contact him anyways. Right before I decided to hang up I heard someone answer the phone.

“Hello?” a man’s voice answered the phone, but it didn’t belong to Jimmy. It was Brian. “B- Brian?” I stuttered. “Who is this?” he yelled through the phone. The noises in the background sounded like a strip club. I listened to his movement through the phone, a door opened then closed and the music was gone. He must’ve gone outside.

                “It’s Blake,” I sighed hoping he wouldn’t hang up. “What do you want?” he asked bitterly. “Can you be serious and not act immature for one second?” I asked annoyed already. I heard him sigh, “what do you need?” he asked a bit calmer.

                I had spent an hour planning what I was going to say, and how I was going to bring the pregnancy up. I had a good way of bringing up the subject but now that I was actually talking to him it was trying to force itself out. “We need to talk, can we meet somewhere?” I asked urgently. “I’m busy.” “Look, I don’t want to see you just as much as you don’t want to see me and believe me I would tell you over the phone but this, this can’t be said over the phone,” I bit my tongue to keep from letting the news slip.

                I heard Brian ask someone something, a few seconds later he answered, “I’ll come to your place, give me your address.”

|Thank you for reading!

That is a picture of Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan!

The song is 4:00 AM by a7x

Comment and vote thanks! <3|