CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

So, there she was, looking outside a window of the locker room, while she was holding a warm cup of coffee in her hands, and feeling utterly alone. The others were talking behind her, but she only caught snippets of their conversation. They were talking about the fact that Callie was pissed at George, after he kicked her out. He had found it too soon to move in together and because he hadn't communicated that enough, it had caused a rift in their relationship. Courtney let out a sigh and walked back to her locker, which wasn't that far away from George's. She passed by Meredith and saw that she was in pain. She wanted to go over and ask if she was okay, but could she? They were technically fighting, but still, her sister was in pain.

Before Courtney had any chance to walk over to her sister, all of Bailey's interns were called for rounds. She followed the others with her hands in her pockets, while her eyes stayed on her sister. She couldn't help but feel a bit worried. She wanted to do nothing more than go over to her and ask what was wrong, but she couldn't. Not after the fight they had had. They walked into the room of Shawn Sullivan, who had had a bypass surgery two days ago, and George was presenting the case. The patient wanted to go home and get back to work. He was scared that he would get fired from his car dealership if he was gone too long.

"What he can't sell me on is going back to work before he gets his oxygen levels up. So put that oxygen back on, Mr. Sullivan, before I even think about letting you out of here. And if I do, I want your word: nothing fried, no alcohol and no cigarettes."

The patient promised to follow Bailey's rules, before the group left the room. Meredith looked in more pain than she was before and was holding her hand over her stomach. Courtney scooted over to her sister, very subtle. Bailey noticed that one of her interns was in pain and asked if she was alright. "Yeah, Dr. Bailey, I just need to make a choice is all." Meredith replied as her eyes caught Derek approaching them. When Courtney had heard about the whole dating thing, well, she had been shocked to say the least.

Soon after Derek, Addison arrived and asked the resident if she could borrow an intern. It went downhill from there pretty fast. The previously very in love couple caught sight of the Chief and a random board member talking and shaking hands with the man who had been partly responsible for them breaking up. Meredith threw up on the floor, which caused her sister to wrap her arm around her in worry. And then Mr. Sullivan lit up his cigarette, which caused an explosion since he was still on oxygen. The top half of his body was set on fire and people sprang into action.

Courtney saw everybody rush into the room, including Mark Sloan. It looked pretty hectic in there, but she didn't really care. Her attention was with her Meredith. "Are you okay?" Courtney asked as she was rubbing her sister's back. She didn't really care about their fight at that moment. Her sister's wellbeing was way more important than some silly fight.

"It hurts. I don't know what's wrong with me."

"Are you sure that this is from all the boy stress?"

"I don't know," Meredith groaned in pain, grabbing her sister's hand in a tight grip. "I honestly don't know. It really hurts, Court."

"My hand is feeling it too," Courtney joked. Meredith let out a sorry, before easing her death grip on her sister's hand. "Oh, no, don't feel sorry. I would rather have you crush my hand than you dying of pain on the floor or something."

"I think that you're the only thing holding me up right now."

"What would you do without me, huh?"

"You're too kind, Court, really. Look I—" Meredith was about to say something, but stopped when she saw Derek walking up to them. The man cozied up to Meredith and put his hand on her forehead to feel her temperature. She was burning up, but remained adamant that she was fine. Cristina returned with a glass of water in her hands.