Chapter 19

C H A P T E R  19

I dressed into one of my multiple suits and took a cab into the city. I barely even paid attention to the media outside of Khan Corporation and I didn’t even flinch when their flashes went off as they started taking pictures. I was on a mission. Philip was waiting right outside the building to help me get in. I had assumed the firm had deactivated my ID which gave me access to the building, so I asked Philip to grant me it with his ID. Of course, like a true assistant he was holding a double chocolate chip frappuchino. But today, I didn’t need the extra calories. I waved it away and he gave it to a passing lawyer who smiled at him in appreciation.

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on now?” Philip asked.

“My lips are sealed. Trust me, you’ll find out soon enough.” I said. We walked towards the elevator, barely even acknowledging the people gaping at my presence back at Khan Corporation. When the elevator opened I walked inside nodding at Philip who rounded up Gardner and the other important partners. I waited in room 17, one of the conference rooms we were all to meet in. I opened up my briefcase and pulled out the “Salon Chic” case and place it on the table facing opposite me.

The door opened and I made no move to look towards them. Instead, I waited patiently for them men and women to take their seats in front of them. All of them but Gardner did.

“Gwen Winters!” Gardner yelled. I hadn’t heard that name in a while, “What is the meaning of this?” 

“Sit down and I’ll explain everything, trust me you want to stay for this meeting,” I pointed towards the empty chair in front of me. Gardner grunted and obliged. 

“You may be wondering why I’m here, after having just ruined Khan Corporation’s reputation. Well, to put it bluntly, I was set up.” I announced. I heard gasps along the table. I pushed the “Salon Chic” case towards Gardner.

“What’s this?” Gardner asked nodding towards the case.

“If you read the case you’ll notice that in between pages 5 and 7, there’s nothing. A missing page. That missing page was what cost me the entire lawsuit. But before you just assume that I hid it or simply misplaced it, you’re wrong.” I looked every partner in the eye before continuing. “It all started when I walked into my office only to see Emily Williams come out, she was such a darling and had brought me the case herself to give my poor assistant a break. I thought nothing of it. But after a few phone calls and emails she told me how I shouldn’t contact you, Gardner, or answer any of your calls because you were too upset with me and needed time to cool down. She had also kindly, arranged for me to live somewhere not too far, but far enough from here and had guaranteed me a job. The catch, she had planned this one full week prior to me losing the “Salon Chic” case. The reason? She wanted to make sure that I was kept busy away from Khan Corporation while she became the new youngest partner with this firm.” Everyone stared at me, their eyes and mouths wide. I took a sigh of relief. It felt good to get it al out.

“You’re crazy Gwen, go home.” Gardner said, getting up. 

“What are you talking about? Haven’t you been listening?”

“I have, and it proves absolutely nothing. You’re a lawyer Gwen! Or at least, you were a lawyer. You know that none of these facts would’ve won you a case in court.” 

“Fine! If you don’t believe me, check Emily’s office.” 

“What?” Gardner stared at me.

“You heard me. If she has nothing to hide than search through her drawers. She’s not the brightest, and she’s not the most strategic. I’d check the drawer with all her old cases. She probably hid it somewhere there thinking no one would bother checking.” I crossed my arms hoping to show Gardner that I was serious about this.

“Maxwell, check Emily’s office, if she’s got nothing to hide, than she’ll be fine with it.” Gardner said keeping his eyes on me.

After a few minutes Maxwell returned… with a piece of paper in hand and a fuming Emily behind him.

“What are you doing?!” She cried. 

“Right where you said it’d me, Gwen.” Maxwell said to me.

“She planted it in my drawer!” Emily pointed to me.

I rolled my eyes, “You can check the sheet for finger prints. I’ve never touched it or looked at it before. Don’t even try Emily all evidence points to you.” I pulled out a sheet of paper from my briefcase and handed it to Gardner. “A list of everyone she had phoned before the case, you can contact them for more proof.” 

“You can’t be serious!” she glared at me.

“I can’t be serious?! You can’t be the serious one, trying to sabotage my life like that!” I was prepared to shoot this woman.

“This is a serious allegation Ms. Winters. Ms. Williams if this is true I think it’s best we leave this for the authorities.” Gardner said coming in between the two of us.

“It’s not fair! You got it all! You made partner, became the youngest AND most successful at Khan, I just wanted a shot to!” Emily said tearing up. I almost felt sorry for her but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. She was dead to me. 

The police came and took Emily in for questioning. She hadn’t murdered anyone but she had compromised my career which could was enough for the police to take her away.

“So I’m back in?” I grinned at Gardner.

“Well… I’m going to have it discuss it with the other partners but I’d say you’re got a pretty good chance of re-partnering with Khan Corporation.” Gardner said. I swear I saw the smallest of smiles appear on his face, a rare thing to be seen on Gardner’s face.

“I think I’ve got my first clients,” 

“Oh really?” He asked genuinely surprised.

“Yep! But it’s a freebie.” I announced proudly.