Chapter 4

C H A P T E R  4

 It’s the day of the “Salon Chic” lawsuit. It’s been a few weeks since I was introduced to this case and I’m ready. I’ve memorized every page of this entire case and I’m 100% ready to ruin “Salon Chic’s” reputation.

 I’ve never been more nervous for a case before. This is probably one of the simplest cases I’ve ever had to deal with but for a client like Nancy Green, who’s got the most impressive resume, I’m doing everything I can to please her because she can easily make or break my career.

 I go to the washroom, brush my teeth and hair. Open my closet door and pick a black suit from the 20 black suits I own, pick a blouse to go with it, I opt for red today. I get dressed and wear my favorite pair of black Louboutin heels, feeling extra confident since the soles of the heels match my blouse to a tee. I grab my briefcase and switch out my purses going for my classic Louis Vuitton speedy 30, as you can tell, I have expensive taste. When you’re in the spotlight as much as me, people expect you to be wearing designer items, not knockoffs from Goodwill. I walk into the kitchen, look at my watch, it’s 6:30am and about time I head out. I open my pantry and grab a handful of multigrain bars. They’re what Max recommended I eat if I wanted to lose three pounds quickly, but to be honest I’m not noticing much difference…

 I lock my front door and rush outside, smiling for the photographers. Everyone’s aware that today’s the day I represent Nancy Green. I grab a cab and arrive at Khan Corporation in 10 minutes.

 “Gwen!” Philip calls me, I hold out my hand for my frappuchino. He hands it over.

 “You are the only reason I’m able to get through my day,”

 “Thanks!” Philip says proudly.

 “I was talking to the frappuchino, but you too!” I laugh,

He rolled his eyes. "Good luck today!”

 “Thanks, but I doubt I’ll need it.” I said with confidence.

                                                                                  ***

"From what I understand, the defendant, Ms. Sara Adams from “Salon Chic”, was to be dying Ms. Green’s hair when she left the room for her own personal reasons leading to Ms. Green’s hair loss? Is that what you’re telling me?”

 “Exactly,” I told the judge, sensing that there was something I was missing but I, Gwen Winters never miss anything.

 “It says here,” the judge straightened her glasses to take a closer look at the case, “that Sara Adams has had a strong history with asthma and over the course of the last two years has developed mild breathing problems. Ms. Winters it appears that Ms. Adams had stepped outside only to get away from the toxic fumes of the hair dye she had treated Ms. Green with. There’s a police report detailing the entire incident, the paramedics treated her on site, did you not look at the case closely?”

 I, and almost every other person in the room, gasped. No one had ever accused me of falsely reading papers. This couldn’t be happening. I grabbed my briefcase and pulled out the case and looked through the papers trying to find the part where I had missed the hairdresser’s medical records.

 “I believe that you do not have a strong case against “Salon Chic”. The judge continued before I had enough time to find Sara Adam’s reasons for leaving the salon.

 This had to be the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to me. Photographers kept snapping pictures at me and my face turned bright red. Never had I messed up such a simple lawsuit. Never had I missed such an important detail. I had memorized this case and nowhere had I read about Sara Adams’ whereabouts.

 ““Salon Chic” you owe Nancy Green nothing. This case is closed.”