Chapter 13

The evenings at Dariayagunj were generally a bit quiet, though with the ladies staying now they entertained themselves, chatted, knitted or simply immersed themselves in books but today Danielle asked them to practice music, the carols for the Christmas, they have a small chapel in the house, having very few Christians which mainly comprised of the family members, their servants and the people who came from the Residency, their 'white guests' they did not have anybody else, Christmas mass was a small affair but the lunch which followed was sumptuous, at the beginning of which Jacques and Danielle presented gifts to the servants and the poor....the villagers came over to wish them, most of them did not understand but it was the 'festival of the Bade Laat' something like their Diwali and Eid so they came to wish the family 'Jesu ke janmadin Mubarak ho' with little gifts....

The Express Post had also brought the gifts My Lady had ordered from Calcutta for her guests, the servants of the house and of course the poor.....

Today evening the ladies had much to do, My Lady requested them to tie each gift with a coloured paper and ribbon, for her guests she had ordered boxes of chocolates from the famous 'Great Eastern Hotel' whose bakery was legendary, they were meant for her resident guests, cheroots for gentlemen, silk scarves for maid servants alongwith a gold cross pin, silk ties and gold pins for man servants and for the general people who will come to wish, boxes of cookies....

So today evening was different, the Wallace's agent and put all the Christmas goodies which they had ordered and sent them over to Dariyaganj, as soon as My Lady ordered the big box to be opened, the ladies could not wait to start wrapping something different to do from their normal evenings and of course who does not like Christmas present, specially wondering what flavor chocolate they will get and some commenting, let me mark my one, My Lady I love mint so if you see this marking you know it is for me....the other ladies protested, suddenly Ann who was emptying the box came across a small packet, oh what is this, My Lady bearing the marking of a jeweler I think....

My Lady darted across and literally snatched the box from Ann, o it's a personal gift...she put the same in the pocket of the dress while giving a glance at Sarah, who was looking a bit off mood. The ladies exchanged glances, one of them showed her ring in the middle finger, others nodded, they agreed it must be so.....so My Lady is moving the things quiet fast.

As the ladies went to their room to change for Dinner when as My Lady sitting at the dresser opened the little box and admiring its contents, there was a soft knock on the door...

It was Sarah.....

I am sorry to disturb you My Lady but I do need to have a talk with you in private...

My Lady quickly put away the box, come in my dear, come in, yes what can I do for you......

Mrs Wallace, today evening I received a letter from my father, he,,....he wanted me to inform you that he has to leave suddenly for home, some business related issues, which he plans to solve it as fast as possible and comeback with my mother and maybe 1 or 2 siblings who might want to accompany....he writes that as I am reading this letter he is on his way already and promises to be back in India by the end of summer or early autumn, he is lucky to get an express ship which will take him home within 3 months...

My Lady looked disturbed....minimum 6 months, what business has got onto Mr Howard that he had to leave urgently...

He was about to open an office in the Cape with his partner, I do have a feeling it is something to do with that, but believe me My Lady I too am failing to understand why he has left so suddenly, I mean before I came here I did not hear of any plans...

My lady looked upset, Oh I understand you, must be something very urgent indeed but then our plans....she sighed....Ok my dear, I now know the reason of your looking a bit off colour but ...she sighed...now lets go for dinner, others must be waiting....