seven

tuesday, june 10th, 5:34 pm, main street.

"why did you even want to ask her to prom in the first place? i thought you liked me," a voice grumbles, "you said you liked me first."

"i don't want people to know about us. we can't just go to prom together, jaem, i don't want you to get hurt," a new voice explains.

donghyuck silently gasps, hearing the conversation from the sidewalk. the other two tucked into an alleyway.

they're standing in between the pet groomer's and the antique store.

"i just wish you weren't ashamed of me," jaemin sighs.

"hey, look at me, i'm not ashamed of you," the other voice pleads, "we've known each other since we were babies. you know this town jaemin, you know they don't react to change very well. i don't want you to feel alienated. i can't even begin to thing how jisung would react and he's our best friend. do you think hyuck would accept us?"

donghyuck swallows, hard, they don't trust me?

"jeno, do you think we should break up?" jaemin asks, his voice breaking.

"what? why? no. jaem what are you saying right now? you're joking right now right?"

"i'm tired of having to love you in secret. it's so exhausting. i thought i could do it but i don't think i can."

"if you want to tell people, i'll trust you jaem, i want to be with you and if this makes you happy it makes me happy," jeno speaks.

"thank you, let's take this slowly, i don't want to make you uncomfortable," jaemin plays with the other's hair, "i love you a lot."

"i love you too."

donghyuck gets on his bike and peddles as fast as his legs can take him. he goes so far away. one secret revealed, millions to go. he doesn't even remember that him and mark were supposed to meet. donghyuck is biking around aimlessly. trying to collect his thoughts.

he doesn't know how to feel. happy for his friends? angry that they didn't tell him? guilt that he overheard them? donghyuck feels so weird.

donghyuck was raised hearing that no one was gay. he couldn't name a single gay person in the whole town. finding out his two best friends kiss on weekends was just a different feeling.

then the guilt of being with mark sets in. holy shit i forgot about mark. donghyuck peddles even faster to reach him. he's panting. he almost gets hit by a car but makes it to the parking lot just in time.

"hyuck! i was just about to leave. why are you late?" mark asks pulling the younger into a hug, "you're sweaty."

"stop, i know," donghyuck tries airing out his shirt, "i took a wrong turn and ended up taking the long way here, sorry."

"don't apologize, as long as you're here now."

mark hands donghyuck the red bull and donghyuck promises to pay him back next time.

"you said you would pay me back last time!"

"i'm keeping a tab, mark."

it's getting hotter, summer fast approaching, school's almost over. donghyuck reflects on this.

the two sit down, mark places his jacket between them and they intertwine their hands under the fabric.

"i'm sorry we need to put the jacket down," mark apologizes.

"i understand."

"prom is soon. are you going?" mark asks.

"no," donghyuck answers, "it's too expensive and i wouldn't enjoy it anyways."

"come on you should go! you'll look nice all dressed up," mark insists, "we'll find you a nice date, she'll match her dress to your tie."

"i only want to go to prom if i go with you."

"oh," mark sinks, "hyuck you know we can't do that..."

"yeah, i know."

"you're pretty, lee donghyuck," mark admires, "you really are."

donghyuck blushes. mark places a small kiss on his cheek and donghyuck feels like everything is ok.