CHAPTER 2

I never wanted this. I must fulfil my duties anyway! Come on, Ezra, you've gotta stay strong. Stay strong for the school.
-EZRA-
...

"Lucifer, meet your partner, Ezra Ire. You two will work together on a big mission."

I smile. Of course I have to smile. Do I really have to work with this guy? He looks like bad news. He has dark brown hair swept to the side and he's wearing all black - black leather jacket, black denim jeans, even all the way down to his black ankle socks. The guy - Lucifer, was it? - smiles back, but his lips pull in a way that looks like a grimace. I guess he didn't really want to be here too.

"We have been informed with a criminal who has been committing homicide. We are wondering if you have heard of him." I say in my most formal voice. If anything, his appearance alone makes him very suspicious.

"Ah," he responds quietly. Lucifer seems quite shy and timid. Oh, what am I thinking? He's probably putting on a facade. "You must be one of those people. It's Hero Day at that Super Hero Academy, isn't it?"

I stay silent. How does he know about that? He doesn't look like he could've attended that school - it's only for the most determined heroes.

"Uh, yes! It is the first day of hero training for the highest year in Super Hero-"

"Okay, okay! I get what you're saying." Lucifer cuts me off in an insecure voice. He looks down at the floor like he doesn't want to speak anymore. I turn to the other person in the room.

"Me and uh... oh- Lucifer will be outside discussing our future plans. Good day, sir." I say and bow before running out of the door.

As we step outside, I wait for Lucifer to catch up. "C'mon," I shout. The sky is covered in grey clouds and it casts a dull sunlight on the pavement. When Lucifer is close to me, I turn around and start talking. "Look, I'm gonna get something straight first." Lucifer just stares at me lazily, his feet playing with the loose pebbles on the ground. "I don't like you, okay? I think you are up to no good. So do me a favour and get out of here."

He stares. Just stares. His feet stop scuffing the floor. "I would, if I could," Lucifer mumbles quietly. Ugh. This guy is so strange: he's not attacking me; he's not trying to trick me, I think, and he seems to not care about anything in the slightest.

"I mean it." I grit my teeth and pull out some handcuffs and my emergency pistol.

"Hah!" he exclaims out loud at the sight of it. "You can't even use what you're good for, what I wanted but couldn't have."

"Do you not know who I am?" I scowl. I make my way towards him, step by step. "My name is Ezra Ire, and I am one of the only heroes who have dual powers - most of those people have turned into villains. I will stop at nothing, nothing, to bring you and your buddies down. You won't ever be in the light like I am! Do me a favour and leave!" My face is next to his. Lucifer's gaze is dark.

"Not without a fight," he warns.

That's it. I've had enough. I shove him forwards and charge at him, the fire in my hands charging up. I try to throw the fireballs at him but moves with great agility, dodging every single one. That's when I see his true form. Horns stick up from his head and blood-red dragon wings pierce his leather jacket. He smiles devilishly. I see his sharp teeth and behind him his pointed tail. Lucifer shoots up into the air and lands on top of a flat. "Wow, Mr Gray, you may be a villain, but you're really avoiding me!" I scream so he can hear me. He moves his hands around and I see purple plasma balls shoot out towards me. Thinking quickly, I put up an ice barrier and they hit it without damage. That won't stop me. I form some ice with my hands and lead the path upwards to him, skating across the clear frosted sheets. When I make my way to the top, my breath is laboured but I will not give up, especially to him. "Come at me!" I cry. He charges at me and whips me on the leg with his tail. I stumble, agony unbearable, but manage to find my balance and I fire ice shards at him - a few of them pierce him and he screams in pain. I concentrate and surround him with fire. "Now you can't escape!" I shout over the roars of the flame. He just sniggers. He flies into the air and circles the building like a vulture orbiting its prey. I throw blasts of fire towards him but he keeps on dodging. "Fight me!" I scream. He throws a large plasma ball and I don't see where I'm looking. It strikes me and I scream aloud - the electricity coursing through my system. It burns me and I feel wind.

I find myself falling from the building.

I try to look around to see if there's anything to fall into. There's nothing. This is it. I'm going to die to him. I cover myself in ice to try and save myself but it's useless as it breaks apart in the wind. The pavement is nearing and I take a deep breath. Could this be?

Suddenly, two warm hands reach around me and hold me close. In a daze, I recognise the wings that are on the shadows of the pavement and the horns in the silhouette.

"Lucifer?" I mumble in shock. I can hear him sobbing and his arms trembling. I'm scared I might fall but he holds on safely. When we land on the ground. He lays me down gently. I sit up and, ow, there's pain all around me but all I can focus on is the crying villian.

"Are-" he hiccups, "are you o-okay?" He doesn't want to stare at my face. "I'm sorry. I kn-now it's... kinda weird for a person like m-me to help someone like you."

"I'm fine." I say and try to hoist myself up. "Hey, Lucifer," he looks at me. I smile. Maybe there's something more to this guy. "Come on. I wanna get to know you."

A/N

Hey, reader. My name's Alyssa and this is the chapter I wrote! I hope you enjoy it so far!! :)