Part 3

An hour later, Jael and Sam were on the road. It was still dark as they made their way to their unknown destination. Jael felt like she could finally breathe, being away from the closed-in atmosphere of the bunker.

     A few hours later, the sun began to rise, peeking a little above the horizon. They stopped at a diner in the middle of nowhere and enjoyed a delicious breakfast before continuing on, only stopping once for lunch, a few bathroom breaks, and gas refills. They laughed and talked as Jael felt her earlier distress melt away. She felt alive and energized despite not having slept for almost twenty-four hours.

     They finally stopped after being on the road for nearly ten hours, Sam confessing that he didn't know how much longer he could drive without falling asleep. They got a room in Rock Springs, Wyoming before eating at a local restaurant. They both crashed as soon as they got back to the room, barely able to change into pajamas before they were both fast asleep.

     Jael and Sam woke up early and hit the road once more, stopping for breakfast in Salt Lake City. They drove through Utah and most of Nevada. Jael relished the scenery and just enjoyed being with her friend. They drove for nearly fourteen hours before finally stopping in Half Moon Bay, California, a small city on the coast. Jael could smell the salty air as they alighted from the car and made their way to the small motel nestled on a plateau.

     It was dark, but she could hear the crashing waves in the distance. She had always loved the water. Jael had once told Sam that the ocean had always been her safe haven, the one place that she could let herself go and just be. She smiled to herself as she realized he must have remembered. Another reason to love her best friend.

     The motel room was small when they entered, but it was homey and inviting unlike so many of the dilapidated motels they were so used to when on a hunt. Jael chose the bed by the window where she could still hear the soft sounds of the waves as they lulled her to sleep.

******

     The next morning, Jael groaned as she rolled over. Sunlight streamed through the lace curtains. Jael squinted her eyes against the bright light as she raised herself up to look out the window. Rolling green hills greeted her eyes, stretching about twenty feet before reaching a cliff that dropped off to meet the beach. She could see the ocean from her vantage point, wide open and blue, white caps foaming on the surface. She breathed deeply at the sight. It had been so long since she had seen the ocean.

     Jael glanced over at Sam. He was still asleep, his back to her. She gingerly climbed out of bed and tiptoed over to her duffle bag before taking out a tank top and a pair of shorts. She quietly made her way to the bathroom to change. She wanted to take a trip to the beach before her day officially started. 

     When she came out of the bathroom she was surprised to find Sam awake, sitting up in bed, his blanket over his legs and his chest bare. "I didn't know he slept without a shirt on," Jael found herself thinking as her eyes unconsciously traced over his bare skin - over his anti-possession tattoo, across the other side of his chest, and down to his abdomen. She could make out scars, some small and others larger, dotted across his torso. She wondered what story was behind each one.

     Jael was brought out of her reverie as Sam addressed her. "Where are you going?" he questioned, noticing she was out of her pajamas.

     "I thought I'd walk down to the beach before breakfast," she replied, glancing toward the window.

     "Hang on a sec and I'll come with you," Sam said throwing off his blanket and taking clothes from his bag. Jael smiled and nodded as she sat down on her bed while Same went to the bathroom to change. Moments later he rejoined her, dressed in a pair of basketball shorts.