10.1 Ends and Beginnings

Beginne am Anfang

Hell yes.

I set the crumpled up letter aside, then un-balled the check he had left behind. Six. Million. Dollars. I could spread my wings. I could start a new life. I could finally leave the Village behind...

Or I could save Dorian.

I sat up straight and wiped my face, scrubbing away the tears. This was the last time I would cry for him. I cranked the engine and drove back to my apartment, racing the new plans and bold ideas running through my head. It was time to pack.

"Amelia, I don't understand

"Amelia, I don't understand." Alessa shook her head, chin trembling. "You just got back. How can you leave again? You told us you wouldn't--you promised."

"I know, I know," I said, slipping the carry-on from my shoulder in order to hug my sister. I squeezed tight then stepped back, hands on her shoulders. "But I have to do this."

At least this time I was leaving the right way. This time I was saying goodbye.

"When are you coming back?"

I shook my head again, shoulders hunched as I gave my sister a bittersweet smile. "Not sure. But I'll write and I'll call--and I'll send you lots of dresses. A dress from every country."

Alessa hugged me again, burying her face in my sweatshirt, holding on for dear life. When she stepped aside, Jeff was right behind her.

"Found these in the gift shop," he said, holding out a new pack of earbuds. "Noise-cancelling. For the flight."

"Thanks." I took the gift, sniffing as I turned it over in my hands, trying not to cry for the millionth time. I needed to be strong for the days ahead, days when I would have no one but myself to rely on. 

"Your mom, she really wanted to be here, Amelia. But it's hard for her, seeing you leave again. She's just as stubborn as you are."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I definitely get that from her."

"Definitely." He sighed. "We'll be waiting for you. Take your time, and whatever you're doing... Just be safe. And come home the way you're leaving--the right way."

"I will."

"I love you, Amelia." 

"I love you too, Dad."

Jeff hugged me, lifting me off my feet a little. "See you around, kid."

I walked a short distance away, where Vanida stood, waiting, her eyes red and puffy from tears that hadn't stopped flowing.

"I didn't forget about you," I signed. "I love--"

"Don't say it," she signed back. "I don't want to cry anymore. Just give him hell for me."

"Done." I smiled, wrapping my arms around my friend, swinging back and forth. "And be careful," I signed. "I know it's a lot, asking you to keep watch over Danny and his brother--but with Opal gone, someone has to do it."