Banquets | wowkwan

Byeongkwan stood in his room tying his tie. He took a deep breath and headed downstairs where his father’s banquet had already started. The house was filled with his father’s business partners—both present and ex partners as well as their wives attached to their arm. He also saw his father’s gambling buddies; his father was a very wealthy business man but he was also a dishonest man. Byeongkwan knew that, he knew how things were run, he knew his father’s dirty business.

                 People continued to pile into the large lit up building, he stood by the door greeting everyone as the guest of honor. He was taking over his father’s company in a couple of months when his father decides to retire. Byeongkwan was not so thrilled to be taking over everything, including all his father’s illegal businesses. But he decided once he was the one in charge, he would shut those down immediately, he wasn’t exactly comfortable with running illegal businesses; he wasn’t a fan of dirty money, either. He was still young, twenty-two. He’d been working for his father since he was nineteen, so his father thought it was only fitting he took over when he retired.

                 Byeongkwan felt like he had greeted enough people and went to the bar, getting himself a whisky, he stood leaning against the counter—sipping and spinning his drink. “The party just started and you’re already drinking?” Byeongkwan looked up to see his older brother; Sangjoon.

                 “Yeah, and?”

                 “Why?”

                 “I don’t want this, I want to be like you and do something I want to do,” Byeongkwan sighed, taking another sip.

                 “Have you told him?”

                 “Yeah, he won’t listen.”

                 “Why can’t Chaeyoung do it? She’s been working for him longer than you have.”

                 “I asked that, and you probably already know what he said.”

                 “This type of business is not fit for a woman?” his brother answered in a questioning tone. Byeongkwan clapped his hands once then lazily pointed a finger bringing it down right after.

                 “Exactly.”

                 “He’s always been like that, hasn’t he?” Sangjoon said remembering how it was when he was a child.

                 “Oh, Of course,” Byeongkwan took another sip. Sangjoon sighed.

                 “Just don’t get drunk before your speech. I’ll get going now, I’m going to chat with the guests,” Sangjoon left and Byeongkwan just lightly nodded, deep in thought. He had a lot to think about, but right now he was only thinking about things that comfort him. Like, his nice soft bed after being gone in a foreign country for months on end. Or his childhood friend he lost touch with—who he swore he saw while talking with Sangjoon. He looked up at the stairs that lead to the second floor, he remembered when they were kids and played with their toy cars under there only to be caught by their maid; Juree. His eyes travelled upward to the halls of the second floor, he thought about when they were early teenagers he remembers when they would hide around the corners and he would listen to Sehyoon talk about all the pretty girls that were in his classes. He wasn’t interested in the girls, he just liked hearing Sehyoon talk. He liked Sehyoon when he was younger, he remembers that. It was sweet, how he felt about him, there was no lust, not ever; it was pure.