Chapter 2

AN:  I wanted to go ahead and upload the second chapter on the same day since the first really was setting it up.  Please comment, vote, and continue to read.  I think I'll post the next chapter tomorrow. 

Note:  I chose Tyler Hoechlin for Micah, but I also considered Danny Schwarz and Sean O'Pry so feel free to use them instead if you prefer.  I might even change it, but for now its Tyler.  He's the guy on the cover.

I'd not spoken or interacted much at all with a vampire other than my brother and the man who helped him navigate his new change simply because I'd never had a reason to, but this guy is my professor so most likely I will. I knew without even having to think about it that I was going to pretend not to know what he is and avoid him at all costs. If I have questions about the class or assignments I'll have Hanna ask. Judging my the way she is currently checking him out... I seriously doubt she'll have a problem with me giving her a reason to talk to him.

I couldn't tear my eyes away from him, and almost like he could sense my stare--which he probably did--he locked eyes with me. There was something intense about the way a vampire stared at you, but with Jake it was always much softer. I guess because I'm the little sister he loves he has a softer look in his eyes despite the intensity. The intensity in this vampire's sharp grey eyes however, was not soft or loving. It almost looked... curious?

I pulled my eyes from his, knowing that a normal human couldn't look a vampire in the eyes that long without their subconscious feeling intimidated and looking away. I didn't want him to know that I know what he is. Who knows how he would react to that? He might feel threatened and decide to... get rid of me. Though most vampires live peacefully and blend in with humans as much as possible, I didn't want to risk him feeling threatened by the fact I know what he is. He doesn't know or trust me and I don't want him to think I might use his secret against him.

It would just be much better all around if I pretended not to know and if I avoided him.

I didn't look at him again for the rest of class. I took notes and looked down at my paper, looked at some of the other students, looked at the wall, the floor, the ceiling, the board... anything but him. It didn't occur to me until the end of class that that could be as suspicious as staring at him constantly. Actually, staring would be less suspicious since human girls probably stared at him all the time. Vampires notice things that normal humans don't. First I stared at him intensely... which he probably mistook for attraction to his perfection... then I overtly didn't look at him.

As Hanna and I left I rolled my eyes at myself. I decided I would have to do a better job next time. Just treat him the same as Prof. Harking, except for the part where I avoid ever having to talk to him...

"I need someone to stay after and help me gather the information cards I had you all fill out and leave on your desks... how about you--girl in the white shirt."

From the moment he'd started speaking I'd tried to hurry up towards the door, but when he said girl in the white shirt I just knew he meant me. It's cream. Not white. I corrected to myself to try to distract myself from the fact that it was only my first class with him and already my avoidance plan was failing.

"Lucky." Hanna hissed in my ear. "I'll meet you back at the dorm?" She checked, lifting a brow and elbowing me in the ribs.

I scowled at her lightly, "Yeah, sure. See ya."

She smirked and walked out with the rest of the class. I felt my mood shifting and I pressed my lips tightly together. Professor Paxton walked to the far side of the room and began collecting the cards. Deciding I would do myself a favor, I walked to the farthest seat away from him and began collecting. Not very subtle of me, but definitely effective.