A new door into life

Edited: April 29, 2020

edited: oct 18 2022

Edited and rewritten: September 18 2024

"Look here's my number if you need anything, I mean anything at all" Jane says handing me a folded piece of paper. "Thanks you've been a big help to me so far. This has all been so much" I say tucking the paper into my funeral dress taking a deep breath. My parents died in a car accident a week ago, I had to travel back to my small home town, where Jane caught me as I was walking into my childhood home asking if I needed any help. She was my savior as I cried into her arms for many nights as she stayed over with her daughter.

"I think I'm going to go home and get some well needed rest." I say hugging Jane one last time before heading in my car with my roommate following behind me. "Y/n, honey I think it's best I drive, okay?" Hazel my roommate said taking the keys out of my hand leading me to the passenger seat. "I can't believe they died" I said looking down at my lap as hazel drove the many miles to home.

"It's been a very long week for you hun, let's get you upstairs and you can lay down and get some rest okay?" Hazel said putting the car in park. I nod my head and she leaves me to my parent's room, where I've been sleeping for the past weeks. "I'm going to make you some tea and I'll be back up in a few minutes" hazel said closing the door softly.

I turned over and rested my head on the pillow, it still smells like my mom one of her brown curly hairs was on the pillow. I close my eyes kicking off my heels before I crawl myself into a ball and start sobbing. Adam and Barbra, my parents, the adopted me into their home when I was eight. They were so loving and so sweet. And yet now they're gone, apart of me was gone, I felt so broken and so alone left with nothing but the empty memories of my parents.

Three distant knocks snapped me out of my thoughts, "y/n are you awake, if you are I have your tea" hazels voice comes from the other side of the door. "No, I'm awake you can come in" I call back to her. The door opens and I feel a weight on the other side of the bed. "Oh sweetie you're still in your funeral clothes" she says rubbing my shoulder. Lifting my head up I see Hazel in her pajamas, with most of her makeup being rubbed off. I look at myself in my mother's mirror to see my eye bags and messy hair along with the attempt of makeup I had on.

"Being in here isn't going to make you feel better, you just looking at all the reminders of the past." My roommate said standing up walking over to me helping me off the bed. "This was my parents home, my home, our life together, they own a shop down the street"  I say crying in hazels arm. "I know, but they would want you to move on they would want you to live happy and free. They would want you to be a nurse, they would want you to go back to you job" she hummed rubbing circles in my back. "I know but I want to stay here in this house where it's payed off I want to go back and work at the shop till I can find someone to run it" I say pushing myself a way and walking to my suitcase grabbing some clothes. Hazel sighed sitting down on the bed "take this week off at least I'll open the shop and I'll run it, okay so you can think?"

"You don't have to" I say trying to unzip my dress, before Hazel comes over unzipping my dress. "I know but it helps me to see you happy" she hummed in my ear stepping backwards. I sigh taking my dress off putting on my pajamas "I want to stay here, I think it's the best thing I can do"

"I'll be by your side"