i was alseep

Edited: April 29, 2020

edited: oct 18 2022

I sat on the couch flipping through the tv channels trying to find something if anything I would take tv static at this point. Mom came down "Jane's back" she said walking to the door in the kitchen stopping jane from opening the door "she always says she'll be back" I say sliding off the couch before walking towards the kitchen leaning in on the door frame. "Hi Barb I'm glad I caught you! I heard you were on vacation" jane said in her overly cheerful voice. "that's right a complete vacation" "Honey -- today I am three hundred fifty thousand dollars!" jane said waving the money around "No! Jane, it is 6:45 in the morning!" mom said, still trying to slam the door.

"Look at me, think of me as cash! This offer is real! From a rich man in New York City who only saw a photograph!" "Jane do not send photographs of our house around the country! We are not interested in selling." "You could double the size of your hardware store! You'll be rich" jane said still trying to reason. "And live in what, our station wagon?" "Barbara Maitland, sweetie, you just listen now. This house is too big. It really ought to be for a couple with a big family." mom's face went soft ask she met eyes with jane. "Oh, honey... I didn't mean anything ... it's just too big for you three. I know these things." "Bye, Jane, I'll see you in church in a couple weeks" mom said shutting the door staring at the floor as jane tapes one of her cards, it snaps mom back into reality before she pulled down the door shade. "Some people..." she said walking passed me. "Mom are you ok" I said following behind her "yes I'm fine sweetheart just go back to watching tv" she said hugging me and walking up the stairs. I walked back to the sitting down flipping through channels again. I sigh turning off the tv and turned to my side before drifting off to sleep.

A slam of the door woke me up causing me to fall off the couch. I looked up to see a bedraggled, wet, and cold mom and dad. "Something like this always happens when we try to go on vacation always" mom completed. dads lead her toward the fire ask they both kneeled "You'll feel better when you're dry" he says calmly trying to reason with her "This fire wasn't burning when we left the house, y/n did you light the fire?" she called, turning to me. "No, I was asleep" "How's your arm?" dad asked touching her arm "I'm not sure. It feels... frozen" she holds her hands closer to the fire on of her hands caught on fire. They stare at it dumbfoundedly before Adam regains his senses and blows it out. "Oh Adam" mom sighs placing her face in her hands.