DESTINATION WRONG

Start from the beginning

"I said I'll push it!" Rhys started to walk outside, but when Zil didn't move aside for him, Rhys sidestepped Zil and went to his car.

I grabbed my backpack with the ghost hunting gear inside of it and went outside. I closed and locked the door behind me and turned to see Rhys standing at his car, his driver's side door open. Shooting Zil a defiant look, Rhys placed one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the outer frame, leaned into it, and began to push.

The car hardly moved. He straightened, wiped his palms on the front of his pants, put his hands back to where they'd been ... and pushed again.

His effort wasn't enough.

"Rhys, we don't have time for this. Neither do Sonny and Chelsea," I said.

"Would you like some assistance?" Zil asked.

Rhys scowled. "Not from you."

"Your car does seem to be very heavy, but if you are sure ..." Zil shrugged.

"Rhys! Seriously ... let him help!"

Rhys pushed again, but the car still didn't budge. He straightened. "Fine!" As Zil went behind the car, Rhys said to him, "Ground rule ... do not dent my car. It's a classic."

With clear disdain, Zil looked at the car and then back at him. "Of course. Will you not first get in?"

Rhys turned instead and as he began to push, he huffed, "Even with ... your ... help, this car ... is ... no ... lightweight ..." He glanced over his shoulder at Zil – and stopped. "You're not even pushing!"

"Rhys, while watching you suffer in this way is moderately entertaining, I can get you there much faster," Zil said. "Get into your ... classic."

Grumbling under his breath, Rhys got into the car and slammed the door shut.

Zil placed only his left hand onto the back of the Nova – and pushed.

Shocked at the sight of Rhys' car sailing down to the end of the street, I watched the brake lights come on just before he would've crashed into Cemetery Raven's wrought-iron fence.

The door flew open and Rhys was out of the car! He glowered at Zil for a prolonged moment before he got back in and started the engine. The reverse lights came on as he backed up. Then, he turned right onto the dead end and drove carefully in the direction of the warehouse.

Looking after Rhys' car, Zil murmured, "You are welcome." Looking smug, he glanced back at me. "Now, chere – shall we?"

"Stop smiling. That wasn't funny. Did you have to push so hard?"

"I assure you, I only gave it a mere tap." He picked me up. "Hold on."

Within seconds, we were at the warehouse. Zil lowered me to the ground.

Rhys wasn't there yet, but Zaamee was. Facing the enormous emporium, she said, "Be careful tonight, Zil. The entity will be able to sense your strength. If provoked, it can reach through you to get to one of us. If it does, it can result in severe harm to both."

I walked past her, up to the warehouse. Being back, and hearing her say that, I told myself not to fold and give in before we'd even stepped foot inside, or dwell on the immense risk we were all about to take. I'd made the choice to be there, and I would proceed with my plans to go inside because a true ghost hunter never backed down!

Noticing how quiet they both suddenly were, I turned. Zil and Zaamee were watching me.

"I know what the dangers are, but I'm ready. I will not run away from that ghost and I'll see it through to the end," I said, facing the warehouse again.