INTERRUPTION

Seated in the center of burning candles and abalone shells that held smoldering sage bundles, I stared straight ahead. I felt different – my senses were fogged. I could see and hear, but not feel, speak, or move.

From outside of the circle, Zil brooded. Zaamee, who watched my cleansing with calm interest, stood next to him.

"Zaamee, the flames stand six inches tall," Zil said, his voice rippling strangely.

"That's the bad leaving. The taller they stand, the greater her need for spiritual purification." Her voice sounded strange, echoing and drawn out, but the words were still easily understood.

Zil took a step closer to the spirals of smoke, leaned in slightly, and murmured my name. When I didn't respond, he sounded agitated. "Zaamee, this is taking too long. I do not like it. I have not seen anything so drastic since my own possession."

"You're worried because it's Ashe. But for this to work, her spirit needs to be quiet, not mercurial and erratic with distractions – and you are a distraction."

His mood darkened. "Montague is responsible. He endowed her at the bridge."

"He heightened her energy and took away any restrictions she might have had regarding our kind ... especially ghosts. And, while she doesn't possess absolute understanding, in time, she will ... with your help, or without it." Zaamee looked up at him. "Consider Montague. How fortunate she didn't encounter him before meeting you. It could have turned out much differently."

"But, why would he do that?"

"I'm certain Montague had his reasons."

Zil murmured, "And because of her vitality, made more potent by him, she is marked. The supernatural will always be drawn to her, and with it, comes great risk."

Moments passed, and they gazed at me in silence. Finally, Zaamee said, "It shouldn't be long now. The flames are lessening." Instantly, each candle sparked, sending its flame a few inches above the wick, and then abruptly extinguished. "That was the last jump. The magic has worked."

Like a gauze curtain lifting, my eyes gradually cleared while my brain assessed how my body felt. Physically, I didn't feel much different, but my memory had holes in it. While I knew I'd listened to Zil's conversation with Zaamee, I couldn't recollect any of it.

Zil started over to me. "Hello, chere. How do you feel?"

"Tired. Everything seemed ... dream-like. It was weird."

"It's normal to feel that way afterwards," Zaamee said. "Tonight and tomorrow you will need your rest, even though very soon you'll have your energy back. On the third night, with Rhys, we'll go to the warehouse." She walked over to the furthest stone, noiselessly picked up her lantern, and with another step, she was gone.

I moved aside the abalone shell in front of me and slowly uncrossed my numbed legs to drape over the side of the boulder. After the feeling in them came back, with Zil's help, I eased myself to the ground. "Ah-h!" I looked up at him. "Did Zaamee ... my leg doesn't hurt." I looked at my hand. The bandage was missing and the wound – gone!

"Her magic healed you." His eyes clouded slightly. "I did not know she would put you through such a rigorous cleansing. Ashe, about our conversation earlier ..."

"Stop – I get it. You think you're protecting me, and for some bizarre reason, you think you're right. But you don't understand how I feel." I locked my eyes to his, hoping he'd see my sincerity. "This is something I have to do. I can't reach my parents, but I can do this – so don't try to stop me."

"It comes with danger. You know that."

"I do. I don't care. Sonny and his mom need me. If my parents were in their situation, I'd want someone to help them – and if it was me who could, I'd be afraid, but I'd die trying."

"So, this is about your parents?"

"It's always been about them. I insisted they go that night." I paused, fighting the emotions starting to well. Finally, I said, "I'm responsible for their ..."

A silent moment passed between us before Zil said, "You have a good and brave heart. They were very lucky to have known you."

I looked away. The conversation had turned too personal and too deep.

"If you will allow ... it can be quite tricky for a mortal to walk this section of the cemetery. I can carry you until we reach a safer place."

Zil was being kind, trying to change the subject and lighten the mood. Because of his generosity, I wouldn't remind him that I'd already traveled it and didn't need his help. I nodded. "Sure."

He lifted me into his arms ... dark, blurry surroundings and a momentary breeze ...

He set me down at the gate of Cemetery Raven. Then, in a chivalrous move, he tucked my arm in his. "How do you feel?"

"I'm not dizzy, if that's what you're asking. I can keep up with you ... showoff."

He smiled. "Are you ready to end the night?"

"No, but I have school in a few hours and if what Zaamee said is true, I'll need all the rest I can get. Walk me home?"

"Of course. It will be my pleasure."