Chapter Two: Caprese, My Chemical Romance and An Odd House

• Dedicated to my 8 readers lol

A//N OHMYGOSH IM SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING IM A HORRIBLE PERSON I KNOW I KNOW.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

When I finally get home I am greeted by silence.

I guess Mom went to pick Hal up from the elementary school around the corner from mine, Kingsley Road Public School. I went there up until grade eight, and judging by the expression on my sister's face when she walks in with mom not far behind, it is just as hellish as I remember. I shake my head. "Hey, kid. I made you some caprese salad, okay?

My days of going to Kingsley are over, but I might have died if it hadn't been for my adopted brother, also a veteran of the school, offering me his remedy after school every day. It was just a caprese salad, sliced baby tomatoes, fresh basil and round bocconcini slices, but it made the concrete hell seem a bit more survivable.

"Yay! Thanks, Wen!" Hal cheers, greedily snatching the plate from my hand. She grabs a fork and runs up the stairs to her room. I sigh, shaking my head.

I walk over to the fridge to make myself a snack. All I see is a bit of leftover homemade pizza, but our microwave is broken. Oh, well. Cold pizza is still pizza, right?

I reach up to grab my Totoro mug and a plain green one for Mom, and fill them both with coffee.

My mom stumbles into the kitchen, still wearing her pink tank top and yoga pants.

I offer her the coffee. She mumbles a response, then tiredly opens up the door next to me, entering her bedroom quietly.

I bound up the stairs and walk down the hall, holding my coffee and pizza. I pass my brother's old room, empty now that he's gone away to college.

My sisters room, right next to it, is an explosion of pink and purple. I peek in past the door plastered in signs warding off parents to see Hal in the middle of the room. She's turned off the ugly yellowish light and put up pink string lights, white christmas lights and pink lamps, creating a bubblegum-like atmosphere. Her purple boombox, next to the caprese, is blasting Katy Perry and she's rocking out on the rug in her pajamas. I chuckle and proceed to my own room.

I'm really not that goth, I promise you! I just really like bands and eyeliner and black and... alright, fine, I guess I am a bit goth, but not in a heavy-metal-chick-who-swears-at-everyone-and-gets-super-drunk-at-parties kind of way. No, I'm more of a band geek whose favourite colour would happen to be... black. I look around my room and smile.

Previously turquoise walls, painted black and plastered with Marvel movie posters, vinyls, band pictures, and drawings. my floor is covered with rugs. I just got a new Mad Hatter bedspread that I love, and my black curtains are drawn. I walk over to my record player and put in The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance.

I flop onto my bed with a laptop, munching on my pizza, when I hear a noise from outside. I peek over my windowsill to see a moving truck in front of the Portman's old house. I knew they'd sold the place, but I didn't know the neighbours would be moving in already. I look at my laptop nostalgically. I really thought I could get away with one episode of Dr. Who before I would get distracted, but I haven't even gotten to the Netflix homepage. I sigh and hop up, going downstairs to make my mom make cookies.

When I reach the kitchen, she's already stirring dough.

"Hey, mom. I was, uh, going to ask you to make some cookies for the neighbours, but I guess you already are, huh? Sweet. Um, I'm going to go." I turn on my heel to leave.

My mom yells after me, "I'll call you when they're baked so you can bring them over, okay?"

I nod even though she can't see me and the next thing I know I'm up in my room finishing a swell Dr. Who episode.

I exit the tab. I like to rewatch my favourite episode, The Pandorica Opens.

I walk downstairs to find steaming cookies on the table and my mom snoozing beside them.

I pile them into a tupperware, get on my Doc Martens and march up to the moving truck, still unloading box after box. The only people I can see are the movers.

"Excuse me, sir. Do you know where I could find the new residents? I made cookies. Um, my mom did. Uh. Not me. But, I want to deliver them, so, um...?"

The man turns and shrugs.

"Go inside, missy."

I nod.

I've never been inside the house. Gia and Laney Portman were nasty twin sisters that stayed in that house for about three months before selling it, and the previous owners were an old couple, Rosa and Daniel Baker, that only came outside to pick crabapples from the tree every saturday.

When I go inside, I'm not expecting anything short of a regular two story house.

Boy, am i surprised.

The whole main level is one open space. What of the wall isn't obscured by china cabinet after china cabinet filled with teacups and teapots is painted a robin's egg blue.

Though I've seen only boxes going into the house, there isn't one in sight.

I gingerly make my way toward the spiral staircase smack dab in the middle of the room, also painted blue.

When I reach the top, I can see that this level is the same; one open area. no dividing walls.

However on this level there are two areas obscured by vibrant curtains. I suppose they are attempts at dividing the space.

Huh, i think. These are probably bedrooms or something.

I hesitantly open a curtain to the first of the two rooms. All there is is a dark wood double bed with beige sheets and two pink pillows, the words mom and dad embroidered on, one on each. The careless stitching tells me it was a child, which leads me to the next room.

I slide open the curtain.

nothing.

Not even a bed.

There's no basement... where did all the boxes go? I find this whole house quite an oddity.

I turn back, disappointed but licking my lips as I realize that I can eat the whole tupperware full of cookies myself.

However, as I turn back into the open space, I see a person there that was not there before.

A girl.

But that's impossible! She wasn't there before, and these floors are creaky; I would have heard her approach!

We stare at each other for what seems like half an hour, but when I glance at my tardis blue watch, only minutes have passed.

Her eyebrows wrinkle together in determination as she mutters a word.

"Wendy."

////////////////////////////////

so i know i only have like 8 reads but it's ok

byebye

mudpuddleromance