Chapter 8

"Alright," said Lex, "I've met her a couple of times because I used to swim, but I didn't really know her. The first time I actually talked to her was in the detective club meeting. As for the others - I've known Cassie since she enrolled. I've taken a couple of modules with Phillip - you know, introductory programming. I've seen Robin around, but I don't think I've spoken to him before we started this club. I've seen Rosa and Mark at the pool, though I don't recall seeing Beryl. It could be because I haven't set foot in the the place in about two years. Your turn, Phillip."

"Um, okay. So, I've taken a couple of modules with Lex as he said," said Phillip, "Cassie - I've seen her in the labs but I hadn't spoken to her until we started the club. Robin - I didn't know he existed until we started the club. I've worked with Rosa on a project about a semester or so ago, I think. I didn't know Lorna until she joined the club. I've known Mark for some time because we're from the same school, though he's one year junior. Today is the first time I met Beryl. That's everyone, right? Your turn, Robin."

"My turn, okay," said Robin, "look, what is this supposed to tell us?"

"You shouldn't have to worry about it if you don't have anything to hide," said Cassie, "keep talking."

Robin looked at her, and suddenly burst out laughing. It was a harsh, nervous laugh. Mark glared at him like he wanted Robin's severed head.

"So that means you found out. Here I was, thinking I'd never be found out because you were just too stiff and proper. I guess I misread you. That's the whole point of this charade of yours, isn't it, Cassie? Fine, I'll tell you. Listen well, everyone. Lorna was my girlfriend before she dumped me for no reason whatsoever."

"So it was you," said Mark, quietly. Cassie didn't like his eyes or the tone of his voice - there was definitely something there.

"Oh, so she didn't tell you? Yes, it was me. But don't worry about it, Detective Clark, because I haven't really talked to her since then except at club meetings - and there, she pretended to not know me at all. Both of us pretended that the other didn't exist. As for the others, yes, I've taken a module with Cassie, I've seen Lex and Phillip around but didn't speak to them until I joined the club, I didn't know Rosa at all until I joined the club, and I definitely didn't know these two until I got here."

"Okay, next, Rosa," said Detective Clark.

"Detective Clark, I need your contact details," said Mark, "I need to talk to you later."

"Okay, I'll give all of you my contact details once we're done," she replied, "your turn, Rosa."

"I suppose you'd find out, eventually, but I was dating Mark for a couple of years until he decided to end the relationship with no explanation," she replied, in a completely flat voice, "I've met Lorna a couple of times at the pool, and it's the same for Beryl. I've known Mark for years - obviously. I've also worked with Phillip. I met the rest at the club, so I don't know anything else about them."

"You stalked us both," said Mark, "you yelled at her at the canteen and made a scene. You tried to get her off the swimming team. Once I said I'd leave the team if she did, you tried to get me off the team as well. Don't claim you don't know Lorna."

"It's your turn now, Mark," said Rosa.

Mark glared at her, but Rosa's expression didn't change. He turned to the others.

"I've known Lorna for some time, though we started dating recently. Yes, I was with Rosa for about a year or so before that. Beryl's in the same class and in the swimming team, so yes, I know her quite well. Phillip's from my school. I don't know the rest, including, unfortunately, Robin. Lorna never told me his name."

Cassie did not like the look in his eyes. There was some history there. So far, Mark and Beryl had been suspects in name only as far as Cassie was concerned. Depending on how this went, however, she might have to add Mark to her list of real suspects.

"Beryl, what about you?" asked Detective Clark. 

"I know Lorna and Mark quite well, of course, they're both in my class," said Beryl, "And I know Rosa because she's in the swimming team. I don't know any of the others."

"So, do your search, get it over with, and let us go," said Mark.

There was an SMS alert on Cassie's phone. Both Lex and Phillip looked at each other, and then at her. Cassie didn't react. If there was anything there, she could speak with Detective Clark later. After all, she was going to give everyone her contact details.

"First, give me all your names, ID or passport numbers, addresses, and contact details," said the detective who Clark had called John.

It was done without much of a hassle. Robin avoided Mark's gaze the entire time, while Mark kept watching him. Rosa didn't speak to anyone. Phillip's phone rang while this was happening. He answered. The call was brief, and he returned in about two minutes. He looked at Cassie and Lex. It looked like he had some news as well, but he wasn't going to discuss it there.

Afterwards, the girls and boys were split up and searched. This took some time as well, and it was about five in the afternoon when it was finished. As Cassie left, she noticed that the mall was pretty much dead. The shops were closed. The escalators had stopped. The lights and AC were still on, but the music was off. The only people around were policemen. 

"This is going to ruin a few people's thesis plans - you know, the guys who stayed on for the intersem," said Lex, "Now they'd have to order everything down to the resistor online and that's not easy."

"It's not like they'd close it for weeks," said Cassie.

"Cassie, isn't it?" said Mark, "I want to talk to you, alone."

Cassie thought for a moment. This could be useful, but this could be dangerous. She didn't think anyone would try anything funny when surrounded by policemen. Besides, he had just been searched, so the chances of him having anything that could hurt her was quite low. She nodded.

"I'll wait near that door," said Lex, looking at Mark, but speaking to Cassie. He sauntered off. 

Mark stayed silent for a moment. "How did you find out about Robin?" he asked.

"I checked Lorna's social media," Cassie said.

He gave a wry smile. "I listened to her. If I had just been that kind of despicable bastard, she might be alive today."

"It was public, though," said Cassie.

"Yeah, I know, what I meant is, she asked me to not investigate, specifically," said Mark, "so, what else did you find out?"

"That was all I found out, and I blew it up on purpose so that Clark would realise it," said Cassie.

"Is there anything else you'd like to let me know?" he asked again.

Cassie honestly couldn't think of anything. "No, nothing at all."

"Okay. Try to do a bit more digging about Robin. He's not what he seems to be," said Mark. 

He turned and walk off, leaving Cassie trying to figure out what that was all about.