Visitors - Tanjiro

(This story takes place straight after episode 1 and before Tanjiro and Nezuko met Urodaki San.)

-

You quietly hummed to yourself as you pulled your kimono tightly over your shoulders, shivering as the cold wind outside rushed underneath the wooden floorboards. Wrapping your fingers around the candle holder, you slowly made your way to your bedroom, the small flame painting the corridors with dark, looming shadows.

The silence was almost overbearing. The faint tapping of your footsteps and the hushed whispers of the blizzard echoing throughout the emptiness of your home.

Approaching your futon, you laid out your hair, preparing for a long nights rest before a knock was heard from the other side of the house.

"What?"

Instantly shooting up, your eyes immediately darted towards the end of the hallway, squinting into the darkness as you felt the color drain from your cheeks.

'Who on Earth-"

Knock, knock.

Feeling something cold wash over your body, you hesitantly got up from your sitting position to tiptoe your way to the side of the room, your breath unsteady and your eyes glued onto whoever was on the other side of your front door. Catching eye of the small wooden cupboard that sat in the corner, you reached outward to pick up the long jet-black frame that leant on its side. Your fingers began to tremble as you awkwardly removed the scabbard, revealing the long, glimmering blade that was hidden underneath.

It was your father's katana. He left it for you just in case.

With your heart in your throat, you gently placed the scabbard on the floor and pushed yourself up, bracing yourself for the impending journey towards the entrance of your home. With one hand holding the candle and the other wielding your weapon, you approached the abyss with sweating palms.

Feeling your legs buckle and stiffen under your weight, your stomach churned as the reality of your dilemma became much clearer with each and every passing step—

That no one else could possibly be visiting you at this time besides Demons.

Standing in front of the front door, you place the candle on the ground to illuminate the space in front of you.

Clutching the katana's handle tight between your whitening palms, you released one hand to lay it on top of the lock, unexpecting the sound that would suddenly come from the other side of the door.

"Y/n..?"

Swinging it open, your eyes widen as they were met with crimson, accompanied by the freezing air that mercilessly began to whip itself against your bare face. Unmoving, you stared intently into the boy in front you, the same hanafuda-like earrings hanging from his ears as he watched you closely.

His dark, bergundy hair was unruly and unkempt, the pony tail he used to keep it together completely gone. His clothes were crumpled, his favorite green and black checkered haori muddied by the dirt and snow.

"Tanjiro? What-"

Without breaking eye contact, he silently turned his body to the side, revealing a sleeping Nezuko latched securely onto his back. It wasn't long before the rapid speed of the wind and snow reminded you of your surrounding's current conditions.

With not a second to spare, you hurried them both inside and locked the door behind you.

"It's not much, but you should eat."