-2-

The lights flicked on in Violet's cell, stirring her awake and the door aggressively swung open. Guards Bennett, Miller, and Shumway marched in.

"Can you ever open the door like a normal person Evan?" Violet taunted.

He rolled his eyes in response. Shumway and Miller began cuffing Libia as she came down the ladder. Violet gave her a weak smile and she returned it before being led out of the cell.

Violet stood up from her bunk facing Evan as he towered over her. He leaned towards her, arm resting on the upper bunk.

"Enjoy your early bedtime?" He teased, referring to shutting the lights off on her last night.

"Didn't mind it at all, would've been nicer if you came over instead of Libia though." She replied gripping the sides of his unzipped Gaurd jacket and fixing it slightly while trailing her eyes up him to meet his.

Evan smirked looking down at her, clearly loving this attention. He reached into his jacket and handed her a slim bottle of Moonshine. "If you tell a soul I gave you this, I will make sure your ass is floated." He stated playfully but with a sort of sorrowful tone. Almost as if he was painfully aware that she would be executed next week; because he was painfully aware.

She shifted a little unsteadily from the remark but took the bottle and tucked it between the wall and her mattress.

"Thank you." She stated before being interrupted by a guard shoving Murphy through the open door.

"Good morning candy-Kane!" Murphy's voice taunted loudly.

Evan fixed his position from flirty to professional again and shot a dirty look at Murphy.

"Am I?" Murphy shouted and paused for a moment before continuing "Am I interrupting something officer Bennett?" He stated sarcastically while dramatically placing his hands on his checks.

Evan rolled his eyes before exiting and slamming the door shut.

"What have I told you about calling me that! God, it was so peaceful here for three days." She joked playfully shoving him by his chest, but truly happy to see John.

"I know right, solitary was so nice. Didn't have to listen to your whining." He shot back.

"Ouch, I'm so hurt." She stated sarcastically

The two chatted for a while, Violet updating Murphy on all the drama and such that he missed the past three days. Suddenly Shumway barged back into their cell.

"Whoa!" Murphy shouted. "No knock? What if I was naked Mr. Shumway." He taunted. Violet laughed which caused Shumway to grow an even uglier look on his face.

"Your last earth skills class is today. Come with me." He spat.

Violet and Murphy did as he said and were ushered to their last class.

They entered the room and sat in their usual spots at the back. Both prepared to be bored out of their minds but happy to see their friends. The class wasn't an actual lesson though, instead of teaching, their instructor Pike began a brawl. He marched over to John and began insulting him in front of the class before beginning to beat him. The other delinquents joined in the fight, trying to stop him from getting any more hits on Murphy, including Violet.

"Get off him!!" She shouted as she threw a solid punch to Pike's face, he turned to her and threw a punch right back busting her lip open.

Before anything got more escalated than it already was, which was difficult at that point. Violet's father along with many other guards broke into the classroom and stopped everything.

"Dad," Violet said as she ran over and hugged him but received nothing back. She hadn't seen him in almost a year and she could feel her heart shattering as she realized for sure that she would be floated next week, that tiny bit of hope she had that she would live vanished at that moment.

"Take them back to their cells! What the hell was this Pike?" Marcus shouted gently pushing his daughter off him and walking towards Pike.

A guard grabbed her and began taking her back to the Sky Box.

"Dad? Dad? Screw you!" She shouted in anger at her father.

When Violet walked back into her cell, Murphy was covered in bruises, with a bloody nose already throwing his ball at the wall waiting for her.

Once she was uncuffed and the door was locked again he shot up and hugged her seeing the tear stains all over her face. She hadn't even felt herself crying, so distracted by the rejection experienced by the only family she had.

"Fuck him. He's a piece of shit for doing that to you." Murphy stated letting her go.

"Yep." She muttered wiping her face and taking a sharp breath. "I'm gonna be dead in a week so non of it matters."

"Come on V don't think like that, we both have a chance," Murphy stated while they both took a seat on the lower bunk.

Violet didn't respond she simply slid her hand between the wall and her bed, grabbing that slim bottle of moonshine.

"Where the fuck did you get that?" Murphy gasped, taking the bottle out of her hand and sipping it quickly. Violet took it back accompanied by an eye roll.

"Evan." She said before taking a sip.

"Oh, of course, he must have loved me being in solitary." He replied taking the moonshine again.

"Oh yes, he did." She stated fuelling an eye roll from John.

Their day went on as normal, with meals in the cafeteria and messing around with their friends. They discussed the brawl in earth skills and how Pike should be floated but they were gonna blame the prisoner 100%.

At lights out Murphy and Violet fell asleep only counting the days down until they'd get to leave the Sky Box.